Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems caused when inserting USB Keyboard or Mouse

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleLen

LittleLen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

Hi,

I recently bought a HP 250 G4 Laptop.  When it arrived I installed all available Windows Updates and upgraded it to Windows 10 (Home).  All works fine until I insert a USB Keyboard or USB Mouse (any make/model).  When such a USB peripheral is inserted all appears to be fine on the surface (there are no error messages) but it has the following effects:

• Left clicking on the Start button or the Taskbar has no effect.
  • Internet Explorer / Edge stops allowing me to use drop down menus in forms
  • General problems interacting with Windows Desktop and IE/Edge

To try and fix this I have:

• uninstalled the Mouse & Keyboard from Device Manager and ensured they have the most up-to-date drivers
  • scanned whole computer for malware (nothing found)
  • examined Windows Event Viewer for relevant errors (nothing identified around right times)
  • run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) with no issues found
  • run Windows Update and HP Support to ensure the latest updates and patches have been applied
  • Attempted to use ProcessMonitor to identify the error, but not had much luck (possibly down to my limited experience using ProcessMonitor).

Anyone have any ideas of either what the problem might be, or techniques I can try to try and identify the root cause?

Thanks in advance......

Len

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

Have you tried to use the keyboard and mouse on different sides of the system?

Also, have you tried the keyboard separate from the mouse (to see if you can identify if it's the keyboard or the mouse that causes this)?

I'm trying to suggest that you check the USB 3 and the non-USB 3 ports independently.

Have you updated the drivers from the HP website - updating drivers from Device Manager only checks Microsoft Update (and most manufacturer's aren't reliably uploading updates there).

Get the most current, W10 compatible BIOS/UEFI, chipset, and USB 3.0 drivers.

Also update all the Intel stuff (RST, MEI, DPTF, etc)

Another point here is how long do you have to return the system - to either get a new one, or to have this one repaired under warranty?

Edited by usasma, 20 February 2016 - 05:18 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 LittleLen

LittleLen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hi usasma,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I have tried the USB Mouse & Keyboard on a different Win 10 system without any problems.  In my tests I have only been trying the Mouse or the Keyboard seperately (rather than both together) to try and identify which cause the problem, but the same issues arise whichever is inserted.  This leads me to believe it may be a USB issue rather than something specific to the Keyboard/Mouse.

I haven't tried using in USB2 - I will give that a go to see if that makes a difference.

I have updated all the latest drivers from the HP Website, which included a BIOS/UEFI update.

I have not tried updating the Intel stuff other than those updates that came from Microsoft Updates or HP.  I will have a look on the Intel support site and see what updates they might have.

I bought the laptop in November from eBuyer but when it arrived it had Windows 8.1 installed.  I will look into eBuyers/HP returns policy to see under what conditions they will refund/repair the device.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  If I get this resolved I will update this thread with the details.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

The Intel stuff will also be on the HP website.

I used this link:  http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=7609954&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

and found the Intel stuff that I was referring to in the Chipset and Driver-Storage sections

Let us know about the USB 2 tests.

I suspect that the USB 3.0 drivers are included in the Intel chipset drivers in W10 - as they are a separate download in W8.1

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users