Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help! Tearing my hair out!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mattprince

mattprince

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with my setup and cannot find the culprit. I have popping noise coming from my speakers. I have the following setup..

1: Intel Pentium K (running at 4.2ghz at 1.25v , have loaded presets on board to put it back to factory 3.2ghz and still the same issue so dont think its overclocking related)
2: Asus H81i Plus Mini ITX Motherboard
3: 8GB Hyper-X Ram
4: 250GB Hynix SSD for OS
5: 250GB Hynix SSD for Backup (not raided or anything)
6: MSi Nvidia GTX 970 (had an R9 380 and was doing it then so dont think its graphics card related)
7: Fractal Design Newton R3 800w PSU (had a corsair 430w and was doing it then so dont think its PSU related)
8: Thermaltake Core V1 Case
9: Behringer UCA202 USB Audio Interface (used onboard and was still doing it, as it is with this so dont think its sound card related?)
10: Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit (was running Windows 10 Pro 64bit and was doing it then. Formatted it and put 8.1 to see if it was W10 and still doing it)
11: LG 29UM67 2560x1080 Monitor connected to 970 by Displayport (have tried it with HDMI and still the same so dont think its the connection)
12: Microlab 2.1 Speakers (2x speakers and a sub that is amped (tried other speakers and still doing it so not sure if its this)
13: All drivers are installed off the motherboard disk that it shipped with so no updated drivers installed. Tried updating all drivers but still the same.

I am tearing my hair out trying to find the problem. 

Could the motherboard be the problem? Could 1.3v have wrecked the board (tried 1.3v to get stable at 4.5 but gave up and put it back to 4.2 at 1.25v). Would something broken on the motherboard affect both the onboard audio and the USB ports for the audio as my audio interface isnt connected to the board per se, its connected to the USB ports.

Could the monitor be the problem? Could anything on the monitor cause a signal to go back to the board down the displayport or hdmi cable?

I have downloaded a program to test latency from the system and drivers and nothing amiss , all in the green.

Any help really appreciated as cant fathom the problem.

Matt

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 February 2016 - 05:26 PM.
Moved from Win 8/8.1 to Internal hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

I am assuming that you have the standard sub-woofer and two L&R speakers. So....reach behind the speaker that has the jack plug-in and gently jiggle the jack back and forth. Do you get  static/popping? Then jiggle the sub-woofer jack where it plugs in; static and/or popping noise? If so, the circuit board in the respective speaker has a slight crack where the jack plugs in and is making-breaking contact.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

I would concur with ranchhand, that sounds like a lousy plug or board in the speakers, not the computer itself. try a different pair of speakers.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

Ungrounded outlet can cause problems like that. Try to put speakers to another outlet.

#5 mattprince

mattprince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:53 AM

Checked the wiring. The wire between the 2 speakers and the sub dont crackle. The wire between the PC and the sub it does a lot.

Is this normal?

View My Video

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:02 AM

Perhaps grounding problem. Another fact is that 3.5mm female plugs are generally very bad quality, so try with different jack.

#7 mattprince

mattprince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:07 AM

Perhaps grounding problem. Another fact is that 3.5mm female plugs are generally very bad quality, so try with different jack.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I dont have the option of trying with a different plug as the sub only has a 3.5mm out to go to the PC   Ive tried plugging that into the motherboard plug and still does it so thats why i bought the cheap audio interface in case it was a problem with the motherboard.

Matt

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

You already tried speakers with different power outlet?

What I meant with different jack was another wire with 3.5mm plugs. Also any chance to try speakers with another device? Like portable MP3 player or something?

#9 mattprince

mattprince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

Tried speakers with my phone and cant replicate the popping. Tried 2 different plug sockets and still the same. Tried different speakers in the PC and still does the pop when i put it to 100% but cant hear the random popping (but the speakers are a lot less powerful and pretty quiet even on full so possibility i cant hear the pop anyway)

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

Because using phone speakers are not popping, then it's very probably grounding problem. Try different sockets or even carry computer to another room and use sockets there.

#11 mattprince

mattprince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

Also, i can hear a faint hiss from the speakers when nothing playing through them. Just the 2, not the sub.

Matt

#12 mattprince

mattprince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

I am so confused its unbelievable. I have stripped my pc apart, got the psu outside of the case to see if its interference from the audio and the psu. Took the graphics card out and using onboard. NOW when i plug it into the onboard, its fine. When i use the behringer uca202 usb audio interface it pops. Even omitting the little 3.5mm to twin rca cable and plugging it into the headphone socket on the uca202 it still pops. This was the reverse before i stripped the case. Ready to pull the trigger!!!

Edited by mattprince, 21 February 2016 - 08:21 AM.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

The wire between the PC and the sub it does a lot.  Is this normal?

No, it is definitely not normal. Most likely the problem is in the engineering of these speakers. The problem is where the sound cable plugs into the receiving socket of your woofer; that socket is soldered directly to a small circuit board that is attached to the (inside) body of the woofer. It is very delicate, and over time, with the flexing of the cable putting pressure on that little socket, the solder points stress-out and develop small cracks. Sometimes the solder is also what holds the jack itself to the circuit board and the whole thing is loose. I have repaired my Altec Lansing (very old) speakers several times through the years. Check that woofer carefully, hopefully there are screws that enable you to remove the cover/shell and reveal the socket and jack. Insert the cable jack, and use a magnifying glass (f necessary) and gently pressure the jack side-to-side. You probably will see the socket body move slightly, or the solder crack open and close. Many times just touch the solder with a gun and re-flow it together again. Other times you may have to apply new solder.

As far as your Behringer interface, I can't help you with that. I have their graphic equalizer for my stereo system, but that's all.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:29 PM

What is the specific model of your Microlab 2.1 Speakers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 mattprince

mattprince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

Microlab FC50W 

Matt

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2016 - 11:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users