Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I recover a MAC address from a preveiously connected device?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

Hey everyone, so I was robbed on thursday night, called the cops, no I don't have renters insurance and about $2500 worth of things were taken, I already went to my local pawn shops but I plan on calling the ones out of town later today.

I had a Sony smart TV and a PS4 that were both connected to the internet prior to the theft, I logged into my router to find the MAC address of previously connected devices however I am only seeing my laptop (which was not here when they broke in thank god), my phone on there twice, laptop is 3 times, and my samsung tablet (which also didn't get taken).

On my router this is the following list of MAC addresses:

Device Name MAC Address Connection Type

Optimus 54:04:A6:43:11:74 Wired

-- 90:48:9A:4C:18:74 Wireless

Optimus 40:25:C2:8B:07:24 Wireless

android-ab82d7ec93aaecfc C0:EE:FB:25:BD:A3 Wireless

-- C0:EE:FB:43:3F:65 Wireless

Optimus is my laptop, and this is the list of previously connected devices, the list of currently connected devices is as follows:

Status Device Name IP Address MAC Address Connection Type

Allowed OptimusPrime 10.0.0.2 40:E2:30:C0:20:64 Wireless

Allowed -- 10.0.0.4 88:87:17:1F:06:AC Wireless

Allowed android-7bd83218c8865a34 10.0.0.5 5C:F8:A1:2A:39:9F Wireless

OptimusPrime, is the laptop again after I got it back from bestbuy replacing my hardrive.

I googled all the mac addresses on here to find out what company they belonged to and my phone from One Plus One is on the list twice. My router did lose power for a few minutes, Idk if that would affect the MAC list of previously connected devices, I don't see as how it would because my laptop wired connection is on the list and that was connected over a month ago. My wifi is locked and secure so they couldn't have logged into my wifi.

One of the MAC addresses on here belongs to a company called

Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd.

No idea what device is under their name though.

Does my ISP keep a log of my MAC addresses connected to my service? If so I should be able to contact them to get the MAC address for my PS4 and Smart TV correct?

Edited by FullMe7alJacke7, 20 February 2016 - 09:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

Mac address doesn't leave the lan so as a way of tracing equipment it is quite useless.  Serial and model numbers are what you need.

#3 FullMe7alJacke7

FullMe7alJacke7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

Actually if you can recover the MAC and contact Sony they can flag it as stolen, then contact the police with the IP address next time it is connected to the Internet

Edited by FullMe7alJacke7, 20 February 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

Usually you need tracking software and activation/registration of the device for it to be tracked.

Way I have heard this working is when they use a registered account like Netflix via the stolen TV.  Netflix can give you the ip address of the recent connection.  Subpoena to the ISP owning that ip address results in the address the cops go visit.

But not based on mac address which never reaches the internet or the Sony servers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users