Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD wont start unless i unplug/plug him back.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheoKondak

TheoKondak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:27 AM

Hello. I have windows 10, and some days ago I bought a 5TB HDD to add to my collection since the other HDDs I had was getting full. 

My PC has 2 USB3 ports and several USB 2 ports. The USB 3 Ports had 1 4tb HDD and one 2 TB HDD both USB 3 drives. When my 5tb drive arrived I unplugged the 2 TB from the USB3 and put it in some USB 2 instead. Since I did that, the 2tb drive fails to start when I start windows. If I remove the power cable from the drive and put it back, windows recognise the drive and everything work fine. 

The device can be seen in the Device Management but its stated as, 

Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

In Properties-> general I get this error message which is very generic:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

In Order to fix the issue, I uninstalled the drivers of the device and let windows reinstall it. 
I tried to change USB port but again didn't help. 

Do you have any idea why this might happen and how to fix this?

WD My Book 1140 USB Device
	Manufacturer	Western Digital
	Form Factor	GB/2.5-inch
	Heads	16
	Cylinders	243,197
	Tracks	62,015,235
	Sectors	3,906,959,805
	SATA type	SATA-III 6.0Gb/s
	Device type	Fixed
	ATA Standard	ACS3
	Serial Number	CVTR5205040B240CGN
	Firmware Version Number	RG20
	LBA Size	48-bit LBA
	Power On Count	273 times
	Power On Time	23.3 days
	Speed	Not used (SSD Drive)
	Features	S.M.A.R.T., APM, NCQ, TRIM, SSD
	Max. Transfer Mode	SATA III 6.0Gb/s
	Used Transfer Mode	SATA III 6.0Gb/s
	Interface	USB (SATA)
	Capacity	1862 GB
	Real size	2,000,365,289,472 bytes
	RAID Type	None
		S.M.A.R.T
			Status	Good
			Temperature	31 °C
			Temperature Range	OK (less than 50 °C)
				S.M.A.R.T attributes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Starting with Windows 8.1, USB driver stack enumeration has changed.   This is a known issue and irritating for sure.  One of the reasons is that the device reports itself as supporting a USB version greater than 2.00, but does not provide the required BOS descriptor, so when you plug your USB 3.0 device into a 2.0 plug, you get that error.

There are some fixes posted around the net, but they are quite involved and have potential to mess up your system.  Google around for fixing that error and decide if you want to mess with it. 

#3 TheoKondak

TheoKondak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

Ah well, i think i fixed this problem. I plugged the HDD in all USBs and uninstalled drives for all usb ports. Now this HDD seems to boot properly again, but my brand new (10days old maybe) 5tb Seagate seems dead. The windows take too long to recognise it in Admin Console. its stated as "Healthy" and
"Raw". I lost some data, but fortunately not too much. I m running some seagate tool diagnostics but i don't have high hopes. It seems that the circuit on the external HDD is defective. The HDD itself sounds like working though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users