Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering from USB 3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ahmadabdelaziz

ahmadabdelaziz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:37 AM

This is my first post and hope that this is not answered before. I have a new laptop and as we all know the first recommendation you get from the manufacturer and computer experts is to backup the system. To follow this recommendation I have made a comparison using DVDs or Flash drives and I choose to use the flash drive 3 (hopefully this is the right choice).

But I read in Ten Forums here that there is a problem using flash drives 3, for recovery because there is an issue with the driver for those USB drives, but it was not explained enough for me to understand, just mentioned in the last post of the topic and nobody commented on it.

My question is this is true? should I get USB 2 for backup instead of the one I bought?

Appreciate any advise?

Edited by ahmadabdelaziz, 20 February 2016 - 03:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:55 AM

I can't say for sure, and someone else may well have experience and comment further, but I doubt the conclusion of that linked topic. The flash drive itself should function as a standard USB mass storage device regardless of the environment. Where USB3 can present problems is needing the correct driver for the port.

The topic you located is related to installing from the Windows 10 image, and the advice is contradictory in that the claim that the installer can't find drivers for the drive it's running from makes no sense - how is it running from it? I can't say for sure of course, but I suspect the instance quoted was because the forum member plugged the USB3 drive into a USB3 port for which there was no driver, then used a USB2 drive in a USB2 port, for which there was. If he used the USB3 drive in the USB2 port it probably would have been fine.

Be that as it may, since your application is not a Win 10 image installation, but a recovery drive generated by the laptop's own manufacturer designed installation routine, it should have all the drivers necessary for the ports on the laptop, and I feel you should not have problems. If USB3 flash drives didn't operate correctly in this situation, it would be a serious widespread problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ahmadabdelaziz

ahmadabdelaziz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:46 AM

Thank you Platypus for taking the time to answer. As much as this does not look clear for you it was the same for me, and that is why I posted it. I share your thoughts that this was not correct. I also think as you mentioned that as long as this recovery image made by the manufacturer software which is HP in my case, it should have all the required drivers.

Thank you and I will go ahead and make my recovery with the USB3 that I purchased for this job.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

Once you've made a recovery drive, it's worth checking that the system will boot from it and offer the recovery, just to make sure the creation worked properly.

#5 ahmadabdelaziz

ahmadabdelaziz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

I checked it and I was able to boot from it. But will it be the same in the unlikely event of having a corrupt system. Personally I think it will but this is not an expert word.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

Booting from the flash drive is independent of any Operating System that may exist on the system, so it shouldn't matter at all if that OS has suffered corruption.

#7 ahmadabdelaziz

ahmadabdelaziz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

You are right this has nothing to do with the operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users