Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please, can somebody help me beat my Video Card to death with a broom?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:29 PM

Okay,

I'm going to toss this thing out of a moving car, and the video card or software may not even be the issue at hand.  So I'll try my best to explain, articulately as I can, what the problem is.

My new computer (this one, the one I'm having trouble with) came with a GeForce GT 730 Video Card and it's been updated with the 361.91 Driver.  I'm running it via HDMI Cable into a 1920x1080 LCD TV.  The Video Card Driver and Windows are set to the same resolution of 1920x1080 (which is native to the LCD TV).  

And everything onscreen looks like complete crap. 

Everything from pixelated images and text, colors that appear to be over-saturated and almost painted on, to ultra sharp, dark, blurred edges and double vision on stuff like peoples outlines and hair on streaming videos.

My old computer had a GeForce GTX 260, outdated hardware, and it ran everything perfectly on the same LCD TV using a DVI to VGA Cable.  This computer's specs are superior and yet, it's a horror show.

I've tried switching to using a VGA Cable, a different HDMI Cable, different settings in the video card software, DELL Service Support, updating the firmware on my LCD TV, different settings on my LCD TV, witchcraft and white magic.  Nothing works.

All I can think of is that there are all these 3D Settings in my Video Card Software.  Things almost look like my computer is trying to process visuals the wrong way and therefore make it look horrible.  That's all I can think of for now.  

So please chime in with any insight or suggestions you may have because like I said earlier, this things going to fly out the window!

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

This may be silly in the light of what you say you have checked, but have you checked that your TV is looking at the correct HDMI input for the socket you are connecting your computer to ?

We too have a TV with a multitude of input sockets and if you select the wrong input on the TV you either get 'No Signal !' or the image is unwatchable.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:59 PM

This may be silly in the light of what you say you have checked, but have you checked that your TV is looking at the correct HDMI input for the socket you are connecting your computer to ?

We too have a TV with a multitude of input sockets and if you select the wrong input on the TV you either get 'No Signal !' or the image is unwatchable.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks Chris, but yes.  Things are looking better with the sharpness turned all the way down but it's not fully there yet.  Very strange.

Edited by Stephanie_Says, 21 February 2016 - 11:59 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

In that case I would suggest that you take the computer round to a friend's house and plug it into their TV.

If you get a perfect or near perfect picture on a different TV then it is a TV problem. If you still get the same poor/non-existent visuals then it is a problem with the HDMI out on your laptop. In which case, since you say 'Your new computer' go and have a word about the warranty with your supplier.

I have just realised that I have made an assumption here - if it's a desktop rather than a laptop it will probably be easier to bring a different TV to the computer !  But try this anyway, you need to localise the problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

In that case I would suggest that you take the computer round to a friend's house and plug it into their TV.

If you get a perfect or near perfect picture on a different TV then it is a TV problem. If you still get the same poor/non-existent visuals then it is a problem with the HDMI out on your laptop. In which case, since you say 'Your new computer' go and have a word about the warranty with your supplier.

I have just realised that I have made an assumption here - if it's a desktop rather than a laptop it will probably be easier to bring a different TV to the computer !  But try this anyway, you need to localise the problem.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks Chris.  I have now realized it has to be my TV.  As for going into the TV's advanced settings and turning the sharpness all the way down and turning the dynamic contrast off, it is much better.  I am going to buy a new graphics card and maybe you could chime in on if a PNY 2GB 750 TI Over-Clocked would be a good fit for me, here are my specs:  Summary Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64-bit CPU Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 3.40GHz22 °C Skylake 14nm TechnologyRAM 8.00GB Motherboard Dell Inc. 0XJ8C4 (SOCKET 0) Graphics LCD TV (1920x1080@60Hz) 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (Dell)31 °C Storage 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 (SATA)31 °C Optical Drives PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Computer type: Desktop

Edited by Stephanie_Says, 26 February 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:17 PM

At least you have localised the problem to the TV set. In which case I don't see the argument for buying a new video card for your computer unless you are having problems with say performance when gaming on the computer. You certainly don't need a cutting edge video card to watch video off a computer on a TV set. My wife frequently watches programs off her computer - such as catch -up - on the living room TV set and that's with the standard on-board video system on a mid range Toshiba laptop and she gets a perfectly good picture.

I am sorry but I don't know enough about the various video cards on the market to offer any useful advice. If you really want advice on video cards I suggest you start a topic in the 'System building and upgrading' section of BC, but from what you have just said I really think you need advice on a new TV !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users