Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi being hacked?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deken

deken

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

For the past couple of weeks my internet has often become unstable (lower download/upload speeds and when pinging google many packes lost). First I thought the ISP is throttling, but today I saw something strange in my Network "folder":

Up0kqOR.jpg

Note that GX5 is my PC name, and it is connected to the internet via my Android phone's WiFi hotspot.

But that wireless router is something new. Shortly after I discovered that thing it disappeared, but it came back after some 10 minutes so I managed to get it on screenshot. For now I have switched to USB tethering just in case. I very rarely look in the Network folder so I have no idea if that router only showed up today or has been there for weeks.

I went to find the manufacturer of my phone's wireless adapter and it seems to be Broadcom not TP-LINK. My PC's WiFi adapter is from Qualcomm. Then I checked what Google has to say about TL-WR741ND and found this:

TL-WR741ND-03.jpg

No such thing exists in my appartment.

Am I being hacked?

I have Windows 10

Edited by deken, 19 February 2016 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Have you ever connect to another network on this computer?  Probably a network that is in range (and possibly unlocked) from your apartment?

#3 deken

deken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

The other networks I have connected to are far out of range (public access points in library, etc). Also I have never shared my connection with anyone around here (at least not willingly, and as far as I know).

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

The other networks I have connected to are far out of range (public access points in library, etc).

That's strange.  If none of the access points you have ever connected to are in reach now then I have no other explanation to offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users