Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

odd scanner problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

Well, for the 3rd time (out of about 3 dozen times), my "home forum" hasn't offered a solution to one of the many problems I drop in their laps, so after waiting a couple days, I am again here begging for help.

So here's what the problem is this time: I now have another problem with the same printer / scanner / copy machine / fax machine that I had a printing problem with recently that mysteriously went away when I fooled with it for a while (see my thread "Jobs never making it into the print queue").

Since then, I used it as a copy machine without a problem. It seems to me that if it has no problem scanning something to copy it, it should have no problem scanning it to create an image file.

But that's exactly what's going on. When I scan a full sheet of paper, it make 3 to 5 images, each one a little less than a square inch of the scanned document's area, from random places on the document!

As I said in the earlier thread:

system:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e 5042A7U

4.00 GB RAM (I know, I need more)

Win7 Pro, Service Pack 1 64-bit

printer: HP Envy 5530 e-All-in-One Printer

Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2016 - 10:28 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

Copying is okay but it appears the fault maybe in the USB or whatever port you're using is intermittent.  It is possible the PC is not getting a clean data stream.

#3 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

I'm able to send files to the printer for printing no problem; they print out just fine.  It is possible that data could flow outwards without a problem, but not the other way?  I've never personally heard of that, but if I knew all about such things, I wouldn't be asking others.

#4 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

Maybe I should ask, how could it be determined if the PC wasn't getting a clear data stream from the printer?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

It could be a faulty USB cable or a faulty socket. USB cables have four conductors -  +V, 0V, data IN, data OUT. It is possible that the data IN conductor (looking at it from the computer's end) is faulty while the OUT conductor is still good.

Cheapest test ?  Try a different USB cable. If that doesn't improve your situation there may be a problem with one of the sockets which would be much harder to fix.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hi Chris -

Thanks for responding.  I apologize for taking so long to get back to you about this while I was busy with other things.

I would like to clarify what kind of USB printer cable I need.  My cable looks like this.  Is this a standard-a, standard-b, micro-a or micro-b USB cable?

00371.jpg

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:19 PM

Yes, that is the bog standard USB A to B cable, widely available and not that expensive. Any computer shop should be able to sell you one.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:44 PM

Thanks, Chris

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

I just had a quick - very quick - look at the specs for this printer and I see you can also connect by wifi. Have you tried connecting by wifi to see if you can transmit scanner data this way ?  If you can it would save you the cost of a new cable. Never let it be said that I am a tight fisted Scots git !

If you have a spare cable handy, try it. Otherwise try the wifi connection.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 March 2016 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users