Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are local user accounts ok for most things on Windows 10 ??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sodicka320

sodicka320

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi 

Just wondering if there is much i'll miss out on by having local user accounts instead of MS live user accounts?

Auto syncing onedrive and cortana  i can live without  :)

Cheers Kev 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

If you don't intend to use the Microsoft Services then a local account should suit you just fine.  If, however, you intend to use any one of them, or already do use one or more of them, then going with a Microsoft Account is probably best.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

If you need to use something that requires use of a Microsoft account you can easily switch over to it temporarily. When finished switch back to the local account.

I recently got a new laptop with Windows 10. In the almost one month I've had it I have not used a Microsoft account on it for anything.

Note that in the list provided in the link by britechguy there are many Microsoft services. Not all of them require you to use a Microsoft account since they are not specific to Windows 10-they can be used on other Windows OS versions which do not require a Microsoft account to use.

#4 sodicka320

sodicka320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for replies .

I have office 365 for mail and calendar and the web version of onedrive is fine for my needs , the only live thing I use really is my live email address but that also works through outlook fine.

So after I reset I might try just local accounts this time and see how it goes . :)

Cheers Kev

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

Note that in the list provided in the link by britechguy there are many Microsoft services. Not all of them require you to use a Microsoft account since they are not specific to Windows 10-they can be used on other Windows OS versions which do not require a Microsoft account to use.

I never used anywhere near to all of these services, but for most that I did use pre-Windows-8 they still required you to have a Microsoft Account to access them. The fact that you didn't use it to log in to your machine is a separate issue.

You have to have a Microsoft Account to use Office 365, for example. One can certainly log in "indirectly" when on a local account on a Windows 10 machine, but you're still logging in to that service with your Microsoft Account credentials.

I just found it convenient to be "recognized" when logged in using a Microsoft Account for the services I do use, and those are very few. I don't even keep OneDrive active, but I do occasionally Skype.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

So If I read this right I should not be able to use windows live services without a Microsoft Account on here?

Houston we may have a problem.

When I re-installed win 10 I only created a local machine account with admin privledges.

Or does this mean I have an unprotected microsoft account running around on here somewhere?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users