Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are local user accounts ok for most things on Windows 10 ??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sodicka320

sodicka320

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi 

Just wondering if there is much i'll miss out on by having local user accounts instead of MS live user accounts?

Auto syncing onedrive and cortana  i can live without  :)

Cheers Kev 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

If you don't intend to use the Microsoft Services then a local account should suit you just fine.  If, however, you intend to use any one of them, or already do use one or more of them, then going with a Microsoft Account is probably best.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

If you need to use something that requires use of a Microsoft account you can easily switch over to it temporarily. When finished switch back to the local account.

I recently got a new laptop with Windows 10. In the almost one month I've had it I have not used a Microsoft account on it for anything.

Note that in the list provided in the link by britechguy there are many Microsoft services. Not all of them require you to use a Microsoft account since they are not specific to Windows 10-they can be used on other Windows OS versions which do not require a Microsoft account to use.

#4 sodicka320

sodicka320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for replies .

I have office 365 for mail and calendar and the web version of onedrive is fine for my needs , the only live thing I use really is my live email address but that also works through outlook fine.

So after I reset I might try just local accounts this time and see how it goes . :)

Cheers Kev

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

Note that in the list provided in the link by britechguy there are many Microsoft services. Not all of them require you to use a Microsoft account since they are not specific to Windows 10-they can be used on other Windows OS versions which do not require a Microsoft account to use.

I never used anywhere near to all of these services, but for most that I did use pre-Windows-8 they still required you to have a Microsoft Account to access them. The fact that you didn't use it to log in to your machine is a separate issue.

You have to have a Microsoft Account to use Office 365, for example. One can certainly log in "indirectly" when on a local account on a Windows 10 machine, but you're still logging in to that service with your Microsoft Account credentials.

I just found it convenient to be "recognized" when logged in using a Microsoft Account for the services I do use, and those are very few. I don't even keep OneDrive active, but I do occasionally Skype.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

So If I read this right I should not be able to use windows live services without a Microsoft Account on here?

Houston we may have a problem.

When I re-installed win 10 I only created a local machine account with admin privledges.

Or does this mean I have an unprotected microsoft account running around on here somewhere?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users