Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mic not picking up voice but instead transmitting system sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spaceball1

Spaceball1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

So today my mic suddenly stopped working. It no longer picks up my voice, but instead if I log on to Skype, Mumble or other voice communication services I constantly transmit any sound currently going through my PC, be that music, youtube videos, game sounds or anything else.

I've checked that my mic is set to the correct default device and I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling all sound related drivers.

The problem came out of the blue. It was fine yesterday and then today when I booted up and logged on to Skype to talk to a friend he couldn't hear anything until I started playing some music which he said he could hear as if he was playing it himself. So it's not just the mic picking up sounds from my headset (which wouldn't make sense anyway since it won't pickup my voice). I then tried to do a Skype test call with some music running in the background and as I expected the playback was the part of the song that had been running during the test call. So basically as stated my computer is suddenly transmitting sounds as if they are being given as input through the mic and no longer registers any outside sounds like my voice, or any background noise in the room etc through the mic.

I also know it isn't the mic itself that is the problem as I tried hooking it up to my laptop and it worked perfectly fine there.

Has anyone else ever experienced this and possibly know how to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

It appears that this is a windows problem. What version of Windows are you using? We should get this thread moved to the appropriate Windows forum.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:03 AM

You can boot up your system via Linux's Ubuntu Live CD (download from http://www.ubuntu.com/download)

Within Ubuntu environment check the sound and mic.

If you system still have no mic input, get a sound card (PCI or PCI-E), it is pretty cheap.

#4 Spaceball1

Spaceball1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:47 AM

It appears that this is a windows problem. What version of Windows are you using? We should get this thread moved to the appropriate Windows forum.

Using windows 10. Already posted it in the windows 10 forum and got no response, so somone there suggested i try to post here. I probably should have included that info in the original post.

Edited by Spaceball1, 21 February 2016 - 08:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users