Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows activation after upgrading major hardware

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KhanRuss

KhanRuss

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

Hi everyone at BC

I've been using these forums for a few months now and unfortunately have a problem myself and needed to create my first post.

I've searched the forums but couldn't find an answer, so here goes:

I'm currently looking to upgrade my computer to the new skylake cpu and am worried about windows being a real pain in the a**e as it was when I first got an SSD, which required almost 3 days to get working properly. Anyways, this is what I'm currently running:

Current

OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (this was from the free upgrade from windows 7)

CPU: Intel Core i3 4130

Mobo: Asus h81m-plus

Ram: Crucial 8gb ddr3

GPU: AMD Radeon r9 380 (MSI 4gb version)

PSU: Corsair cx600m

Case: NZXT h440

Storage: Samsung 850 evo (128gb)

Seagate Barracuda (4tb)

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

New Parts

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k

Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon

Ram: Corsair 8gb ddr4

PSU: Corsair rm650x

Also have the NZXT hue+ and grid+ v2

Now, I've been in touch with Microsoft support, and unfortunately they were very little help with the matter.

Question

So what i want to know is, what's the best way to go about installing everything so windows gives me no problems?

I have a copy of Windows 7 (Installation CD) and an activation key (or whatever the 16 digit code is), I'd like to have windows 10 again but if needs be, I'll go back to windows 7.

Do I need to delete drivers, download something to my usb, what code do i use etc.

Hopefully that's everything, and I'm extremely sorry if this has already been posted before, would greatly appreciate it if you can link me to it, otherwise any help would be great, links to videos ect.

Thank you,

KhanRuss

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2016 - 04:43 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

I see no reason to replace motherboard and RAM. Difference between Skylake and Haswell is neglible.

Another reason not to do it: Microsoft says that OEM licence is void if motherboard is changed. I assume that your Windows 7 license was OEM, not retail.

#3 KhanRuss

KhanRuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

I see no reason to replace motherboard and RAM. Difference between Skylake and Haswell is neglible.

Another reason not to do it: Microsoft says that OEM licence is void if motherboard is changed. I assume that your Windows 7 license was OEM, not retail.

I've already bought all the parts (sorry, I guess i wasn't really clear in my 1st post)

And about the windows copy, I always thought it was a retail copy, how do I tell the difference?

(I got the copy with my computer when I bought it more than 5 years ago from CCL (an UK computer retailer))

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Your new parts are basically a new machine! it needs a new key or a Retail key to be transferred.

If your Windows 7 license is OEM then you can't legally transfer the license unless if you live in Germany! It's legal there.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 KhanRuss

KhanRuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Your new parts are basically a new machine! it needs a new key or a Retail key to be transferred.

If your Windows 7 license is OEM then you can't legally transfer the license unless if you live in Germany! It's legal there.

Hi, thank you for the welcome message 

how do I tell the difference between an OEM copy and a retail copy?

worse comes to worse, i buy a copy of windows 10, what would be the best way to do so?

Edited by KhanRuss, 19 February 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-tell-if-windows-is-retail-or-oem/ea57d733-716d-4c9e-ba86-233be13545de?auth=1

The one exception to the above which I am aware of...is if the license purchased was part of the old family-pack sold for a short time by MS.  The same license for those can be installed on 3 different systems (I have such a license).

Louis

#7 KhanRuss

KhanRuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-tell-if-windows-is-retail-or-oem/ea57d733-716d-4c9e-ba86-233be13545de?auth=1

The one exception to the above which I am aware of...is if the license purchased was part of the old family-pack sold for a short time by MS.  The same license for those can be installed on 3 different systems (I have such a license).

Louis

I don't think that is the case for me unfortunately.

#8 KhanRuss

KhanRuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

After having a look at my windows 7 booklet, it has a message in the top corner saying it is OEM. That's a shame.

Looks like it'll have to be a new purchase.

What needs to be downloaded to install it after I upgrade the CPU+Mobo?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

Windows is built to run on just about any system, including some that don't meet the minimum hardware requirements.

With a new motherboard, there will be a drivers CD with that board.  Those drivers would have to be installed to provide proper communication between the motherboard and various components.  I find that motherboard packages often include unnecessary fluff that can also be installed...the basic drivers needed (motherboard chipset, graphics, audio, networking, should install automatically once you run the disk.

Of those...the chipset and network drivers should be the first one installed, since network connectivity is necessary for any downloading, activation, etc. , IMO.

Louis

#10 KhanRuss

KhanRuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

Windows is built to run on just about any system, including some that don't meet the minimum hardware requirements.

With a new motherboard, there will be a drivers CD with that board.  Those drivers would have to be installed to provide proper communication between the motherboard and various components.  I find that motherboard packages often include unnecessary fluff that can also be installed...the basic drivers needed (motherboard chipset, graphics, audio, networking, should install automatically once you run the disk.

Of those...the chipset and network drivers should be the first one installed, since network connectivity is necessary for any downloading, activation, etc. , IMO.

Louis

Thank you for that, but I meant before I even get to that stage.

Again, I'm missing out important things in my messages, I apologies.

What i meant was, what do i need to download to install windows 10? As I'll most likely not have a CD to so.

I'm assuming I'll either need to burn an ISO or get something for an USB?

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

Louis

What i meant was, what do i need to download to install windows 10? As I'll most likely not have a CD to so.

Load tool and put it to USB https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#12 KhanRuss

KhanRuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

Louis

Load tool and put it to USB https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thank you, much appreciated.

Hopefully everything goes well.

#13 rpbtf

rpbtf

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hello,

regardless of whether OEM or retail version, you've got the free Windows 10 upgrade only for the system on which the upgrade was installed and activated.

Get your Windows 10 Home license at your preferred online store for about £85 (only product key needed).

Ralf

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

Hello,

regardless of whether OEM or retail version, you've got the free Windows 10 upgrade only for the system on which the upgrade was installed and activated.

Get your Windows 10 Home license at your preferred online store for about £85 (only product key needed).

Ralf

Wrong. Windows 10 upgrade rights are carried from previous version. That means Windows 7 Retail version upgraded to Windows 10 means Windows 10 Retail.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

#15 rpbtf

rpbtf

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

@Drillingmachine:
you're right if he buys a Windows 10 upgrade. But he installed the free Windows 10 upgrade (MS offer valid until August 2016). This upgrade can only be reinstalled (and is automatically re-activated) on the system on which the upgrade was originally installed and activated.
Ralf

Edited by rpbtf, 21 February 2016 - 12:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users