Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I connect with IP that has different third octet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 n8jk

n8jk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

I'm on a DCHP network (192.168.0.x), trying to connect to a rackmount which requires a static IP.

The rackmount has a static IP with third octet of 2 (192.168.2.110), and I have control panel software on a workstation that should connect over the network with the rackmount to allow maintenance.

My workstation is running Win7 Pro. I have no idea what the rackmount runs.

The guy who helped me get it last time isn't around.  Something to change in the adapter settings? Do I have to change the subnet mask to let my computer see the other one?

I've already done arp -a from cmd, and the rackmount with it's odd third octet doesn't appear on the list of IP addresses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated- I've arrived at an impasse with this one!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hi,

Do you have the rackmount and the Workstation connected to the same network device?

If it's the case change the Workstation netmask temporarily to 255.255.0.0

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 n8jk

n8jk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

OK, I think I'm on the right track here, but my networking skills are a bit rusty.

From the workstation, I ran ipconfig and got the current IP, Subnet, and Gateway addresses:

Then I went into my adapter settings, to IPv4 properties, and switches from "obtain IP automatically" to "use the following" which prompts me for an IP, Subnet, and Gateway.  I entered the following for these fields:

Doing this forces me to enter a DNS address, also- I don't know what to enter here so that my url's will still resolve.

Am I on the right track?  Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

OK, I think I'm on the right track here, but my networking skills are a bit rusty.

From the workstation, I ran ipconfig and got the current IP, Subnet, and Gateway addresses:

Then I went into my adapter settings, to IPv4 properties, and switches from "obtain IP automatically" to "use the following" which prompts me for an IP, Subnet, and Gateway.  I entered the following for these fields:

Doing this forces me to enter a DNS address, also- I don't know what to enter here so that my url's will still resolve.

Am I on the right track?  Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

You can find the DNS IP if you use ipconfig /all but its not needed if you only want to access the rackmount configuration one time to change the IP address to one "inside your network configuration" after that you can rever the workstation to DHCP and you will be able to access the new IP 192.168.1.x

In some routers you can create a static list of IP's to assign for certain devices if isn't the case of yours you should check what is the DHCP range (example 192.168.1.50-200) and use a static IP (like 192.168.1.10 for the range in the example) outside the range to avoid conflicts.

Edited by SleepyDude, 20 February 2016 - 07:26 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

Is there a reason for the server to be in a different subnet?  If not then you should be changing its ip to that of the lan.

#6 n8jk

n8jk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

The rackmount is on a different subnet b/c it requires static ip and we have over a dozen devices on the DCHP lan, plus smartphones, etc.  Being more of a hobbyist than a professional, this seemed the easiest way to do it at the time.

So, thank you SleepyDude, for the help thus far- I found my dns server address and have my workstation set to static IP and no issues, except that I still cannot connect to the rackmount.

I do, however, have some additional data regarding this most vexing issue-  I got up on a ladder to get a closer look at the rackmount...

There's an LED display with a set of buttons I can use to view or change the network configuration of the rackmount- I'm thinking I may need to adjust the subnet mask on the rackmount?  Just to bring everything up to present: here are the present settings:

Workstation:

Use following IP address: 192.168.1.63

Subnet Mask:                   255.255.0.0

Default Gateway:             192.168.1.1

DNS Server:                     192.168.1.1

Rackmount:

IP address:                       192.168.2.140

Subnet Mask:                    255.255.255.0

Default Gateway:              192.168.2.1

With these settings, I can go to CMD and arp /a, and my rackmount ip shows on the list.  If I try to ping that address, though, it times out.

I'm soooo close to getting this; thank you so much for the help!!!

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

Professionally you would have a ip plan that would carve up the subnet into ranges that supported dhcp, static, reserved and growth.

For example you would have

192.168.1.1-25 as your static range for your router, servers, managed switches, etc

26-50 would be reserved for growth

51-100 would be for dhcp

101-254 would be reserved for growth

You can have 254 devices with a class C [255.255.255.0] address range.

So assigning the rackmount servers static ips not in the lan subnet is a mistake.  You have plenty of ip addresses you can use outside of the dhcp scope as shown in the example.

Though supernetting will work for you [using 255.255.0.0 subnet on all] it will not correct the mistake of the wrong gateway at 192.168.2.1.  You already have a gateway set at 192.168.1.1

What would work is to put a router in between the .1 and .2 subnets.  Then you can have the routers lan interface be at 192.168.2.1 and you will truly have a gateway for that subnet.

So you have the choice of a router and leaving the subnets as they are and with a class c subnet mask or use the class b subnet mask and change the gateway on .2.x assigned devices to point to the gateway at .1.1

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

Unless the rack mount is attached to a router with a 192.168.2.x address you're looking at a whole lot of issues.  The best thing would be to put this on your 192.168.0.x address network.  Each network can handle 250 devices, so you should have no issues.

Best plan is to create an IP plan.  Something like:

192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.10 - Network Equipment

192.168.0.11 through 192.168.0.30 - Printers

192.168.0.50 through 192.168.0.200 - DHCP Clients

192.168.0.201 through 192.168.0.250 - Network Hardware

If you want to connect to it on the 192.168.2.x network.  The easiest way is to set a static IP on a laptop on the 192.168.2.x and connect them with either a cross over cable or on the same switch or hub.

#9 n8jk

n8jk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:37 AM

Okay; switched the rackmount to class B subnet, changed gateway to .1.1 and ip to .1.140

Results- ping from workstation returns "Host is unreachable"

I followed the crossover cable leaving the rackmount; it indeed appears to be on it's own router.  The whole time I was looking at the thing thinking it was just a switch.

Sooo-  I'm going to go grab a laptop and try Kilroy's suggestion.  I'll set the laptop to static ip, set the gateway, and use a crossover cable plugged into the same router as the rackmount.  Will report back my results!

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

You should get the router routing properly.  That will solve all of your problems.  Presently you are going nowhere fast.  By changing the server subnet and gateway to what you did the router can't route to that ip address since it is in the same subnet on both sides of the router.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:32 AM

About TCP/IP.  You don't need a gateway address if you're not leaving the network, this is the easy way to prevent Internet access (set a static IP address with no gateway).

Provided the router that the rack mount is attached performs DHCP you should be able to connect a laptop to the router and it should pull a 192.168.2.x address and you should be able to take to the rack mount.

A cross over cable is used to connect two machines directly together.  The transmit and receive pairs are flipped on one end.  Normally you would not use a cross over cable to connect to a router or hub.  In the past you may have needed to use a cross over cable to connect two hubs/switches/routers together, these days they automatically do it for you.

#12 n8jk

n8jk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:18 AM

Okay; still trying to locate the admin cp install software so I can put it on the laptop. May just grab a dolly and cart the workstation back into the networking closet. 

For the long-term, I'll be looking forward to straightening out the overarching network issues.  Thanks for the help; I learned a lot!

#13 n8jk

n8jk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:06 PM

Update - I have partial success!!! Just one last gremlin to whack...

I can successfully connect my workstation to the rackmount by plugging the workstation onto the same router as the rackmount.

The remaining problem I'm having is to be able to access the internet when on this router; should be an easy fix, but I'm stumped again! I need connectivity to the rackmount and the net at the same time so I can arrange remote support.

While patched directly into the rackmount's router, I can connect with rackmount using the following adapter settings:

IP Address:     192.168.2.63

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Deflt Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Use DNS servr: 192.168.2.1

I would guess that I need to discover the appropriate DNS to use? Any thoughts on this?

#14 n8jk

n8jk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

Update, to add-

While patched into the rackmount's router- if I set network adapter to Obtain IP Automatically, I can connect to the internet, but not the rackmount.

#15 n8jk

n8jk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

Success!  I've succeeded!  For the next poor slob trying to lick a similar problem, here's the solution:

I set my network adapter settings to static IP, using the configuration that allowed me to connect to the internet.

Then I clicked Advanced, and added a second static ip with the third octet set as needed to talk to the rackmount.

Problem solved!

Thanks again for the help; I am infinitely better versed in the whole networking thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users