Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan, a (amp?) number important?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluecoal

bluecoal

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

emachine d6417. computer emitting louder annoying noise, believe it is the CPU fan. Want to replace.

I do not understand electricity, do not know what changes in the a (amp?) number are allowable.

Current fan AVC DA07020R12H 12v 0.33a -041 (don't know what this number is either). 70 mm.

Thickness approx 19-20mm. 3 pin connector. Also, I think it said it was a hydraulic bearing. Computer has a 300w power supply which supports mobo, case fan, video card, lan card, 2 hard drives, floppy, dvd, usb ports and an old multimedia card multiple port device.

I think I am supposed to be looking for a ball bearing fan. Beyond that, eBay listings show a variety of fan speeds that I don't know how to choose from. Also the 0.xxa numbers run from 0.18 to 0.70. I don't know what I might safely exchange in this specification either.

Quietness is a concern because of the computer's location. It's a tower type case located between a computer desk and a kitchen cabinet-I try to leave some space between each side.

Could someone give me a few comments about choosing a replacement fan, particularly about the 0.xxa number? Thank you.

(It is an XP/Chrome system so I may have to work out a backup and replacement plan in April if safe Chrome alternatives do not emerge, but I would still like to put a decent CPU fan in it right now.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

This should meet your requirements but just google "AVC DA07020R12H 12v 0.33a -041" for a choice of suppliers -

http://www.buyqual.com/avc-7020-da07020r12h-12v-0-33a-hydraulic-bearing-fan-cooling-fan.html

12V, 0.33A are the voltage and amperage ratings of the fan, it draws 4W (watts). The important part of any replacement spec is the mounting screw locations and dimensions. They will all be 12V but slight variations in the current ratings are not important.

Like you, I have no idea what the '-041' indicates, I see the one in the illustration in the link i quoted shows '-108'. My best guess is that it is either a batch identifier or a date of manufacture code.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:07 AM

You can replace your stock CPU cooler to much better 3rd party CPU tower cooler.

Usually CPU tower cooler come with much quiet and bigger fan (120mm).

#4 bluecoal

bluecoal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

Thank you.

#5 moldieToast

moldieToast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

When looking for a cpu-fan it is important to know how the old one is attached to the cooling block. In my experience this often isn't by means of screws and can diversify a lot between systems. Like Webwalker I suggest getting a completely new cooler, not just a new fan. These usually come with extra mounting brackets ,or whatever the cooler uses to attach the fan to the cooling block, and are generally better than a stock cooler which usually barely do the job. 

There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a new cooler. Some of them can be rather tall and might not fit the width of your case, others can be very wide and won't fit inbetween other components. Make sure it will fit.

For quietness i would suggest the brand Noctua. Noctua doesn't just produce quiet fans, but durable fans. They can get a bit pricey though, so you might even want to go for a cooler of another brand and exchange the fan that comes with it for a noctua. (i usually go this way)

Assuming the fan will be working verticly the bearing is not that important.

When it comes to intake, usually noted as xx cfm, more is always better.

For you personally I would say, try not to overspend. As your system is running xp I assume it to be relatively old and its cpu will probably not produce the heat modern quad/octo-core cpu's do.

Just some added info on the amperage. most mobo connectors for fans allow for a maximum amperage of 1, so anything below that is fine. the amperage gets important when adding multiple fans to 1 connector (by use of a y-splitter cable). The amperages added together should not exceed 1 unless you are sure your mobo allows this. so you could connect only 1 fan with an amperage of 0.70, but 3 if they all have an amperage of 0.33.

Hope that satifies your curiosity about Amperage in relation to fans.

edit:

I almost forgot. Make sure to watch some videos on how to apply cooling paste or let the cooler be installed by a proffesional ;)

Edited by moldieToast, 24 February 2016 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users