Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Creation Tool - Does one need "the latest version". . .

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

Hello All,

I am trying to sort out whether one needs to keep downloading the Media Creation Tool itself over time as new releases of Windows 10 are released.

My inclination is to think not, since it seems that the role of the MCT is to download whatever the latest ISO happens to be, and it's the ISOs that change, not the MCT itself.

Can anyone confirm or refute?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

The tools gets updates also. I have the MediaCreationTool downloaded on 29-7-2015 that is version 10.0.10240.16399 and today is 10.0.10586.35

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

I realize that the tool gets updates and I've actually got several versions downloaded.  At one time there was a separate version for x64 versus x86, but that is no more, you can download 64-bit, 32-bit, or both using the same MCT for a while now.

I just downloaded the latest version and it behaves just like the one I had from last November.

In any case, what I'm really trying to tease out is whether the MCT fetches whatever the latest ISO happens to be that MS has on their servers for Win10 of the variety you're trying to download or is it hard-coded to fetch a specific version of the Win10 ISO.  Every fiber of my being tells me that it has to be the former behavior, but someone has to know for sure.

I guess I could try downloading an ISO for the same Win10 setup using the old and the new one, but I'd rather not spend the time if someone already knows for certain how this works.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

One thing that I know for sure the tool doesn't download the ISO it downloads the Windows 10 installation files and generate the ISO locally if that is the option selected.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

One thing that I know for sure the tool doesn't download the ISO it downloads the Windows 10 installation files and generate the ISO locally if that is the option selected.

OK, but still, if what you're saying is correct (and I have no doubt that it is) my original question still stands:  Does the MCT always fetch the most recent stuff that MS has on its servers or does it grab what was current at the time the version of the MCT you have was downloaded?  [I still have to believe it's the former.  If no one can answer within a day I'll do an actual download using the two different versions of the MCT I have and see what I get as the end result.  It just takes forever.]

~ Lauren Bacall

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

britechguy, take a look at this:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Windows-Installation-Media-Creation-Tool.shtml#download

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

I have to question this. A few months ago I d/l a win 10 ISO from Microsoft without d/l the creation tool first.

It was labeled on the site as a ISO and when it d/l it had a ISO extension.It was 3.77 GB in size so I assume it was the bare OS, no software pre-loaded.

Maybe it was not supposed to but it certainly did.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

I have to question this. A few months ago I d/l a win 10 ISO from Microsoft without d/l the creation tool first.

It was labeled on the site as a ISO and when it d/l it had a ISO extension.It was 3.77 GB in size so I assume it was the bare OS, no software pre-loaded.

Maybe it was not supposed to but it certainly did.

Its normal, the page that provides the Media Creation Tool detects that you are running an unsupported OS like Windows XP, Linux, etc. it gives a direct download link valid form a limited time to download the full ISO.

___
Rui

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

I quoted before I saw 2 others had already replied. My bad Brian.

Just for reference this was on a win 10 already installed not another OS.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

Well, when I'm using the MCT on Win10 and telling it that I want to download media for another machine the file save dialog shows ISO as the file type being saved.

At this point I'm in the process of testing out my own theory.  I've got the MCT x64 version I downloaded in October 2015 doing a download of the "both" (32 and 64 bit) ISO for Win10.

After that's done, I'm going to do the same thing with the MCT I downloaded this morning then check if the resulting files are the same.

No one seems to know the answer definitively, so there's nothing like actually doing and analyzing the results.

~ Lauren Bacall

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:35 PM

@Dannyboy950:

The direct web download of the ISO looks like this:

1FVVslU0.jpg

it's not the same as the Save ISO option on the tool.

Edited by SleepyDude, 19 February 2016 - 12:47 PM.

___
Rui

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

I don't know why this matters so much, as I don't really care about whether it's the strict equivalent of a web download of the ISO.

Once I'm finished with doing whatever it is that the various versions of the MCT do to assemble the ISO, I will compare the resulting files to see if they are indeed the same.  If the one that gets created using the October MCT and the today MCT are the same, then I'll have my answer.

All I care about knowing is whether the MCT, regardless of its version, can be expected to create as its final product whatever the current build is at the point of time that you run the MCT.  I'm at 49% with the October MCT at the moment, so I don't anticipate having a definitive answer until sometime this evening.

~ Lauren Bacall

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:48 PM

I don't know why this matters so much, as I don't really care about whether it's the strict equivalent of a web download of the ISO.

I edited my post to make it more clear that my answer was directed to Dannyboy950.

___
Rui

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for the further clarification.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

At this point, based upon my results, I have to say that my presumption appears to have been 100% wrong.

I created two versions of the "both" (32 & 64 bit combined) Windows 10 DVD ISO today, one with the 64-bit Media Creation Tool that I downloaded on 10/2/2015, and the other with the Media Creation Tool that I downloaded from the website this morning.  I've got one more being downloaded as I'm typing from the 32-bit MCT that I snagged on 11/13/2015.

ISO from 64-bit MCT from October 2015:  File size - 6,067,904 Kb

ISO from MCT downloaded today, 2/9/2016:  File size - 5,750,400 Kb

Both MCT runs completed successfully with no errors, and there is no logical reason for that huge a difference in ISO size except that the source material used to generate both "both" ISOs are different.

I'll report on the final ISO once its generation is complete a few hours from now.

I know I'll always be downloading the latest MCT itself before using the tool to create an ISO if I need to do so in the future.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users