Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random yellow line artifacts after manual fan speed increase - GTX 660

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:59 AM

Hi there,

I started having a problem with random yellow horizontal lines appearing for a split second on both of my monitors, being output from an EVGA geforce GTX 660 OC. 

They are about an inch long and can appear anywhere on the screen.

The problem started clearly after I manually set the video card fan to 75% for about 5 seconds using Open Hardware Monitor. There were hundreds of artifacts per second all over the screen! I then turned the fan setting back to normal and it slowly revved down, but in the process, still artifacts heavily showed until it went down to normal speed (around 35% or 1020 RPM).

No overclocking or voltage mods were applied, just the fan speed from the program's window.

However, now, I am getting the random artifacts just when the computer is idle with chrome open and nothing else.

I have reinstalled nvidia drivers, restarted the computer, left it off overnight, and used the default Windows 8.1 drivers. No luck.

Please help!

PC (built in 2013 July):

Core i7 4770k

16gb ram

Asus z87 mainboard

geforce gtx 660 EVGA

700w thermaltake psu

2 ssd and 1 hdd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

I would be inclined to say your gpu is failing. Does the issue persist under integrated graphics?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:12 AM

No! While my motherboard doesn't have integrated video ports, I tried a different card in there and did not notice any artifacts in about an hour of using the PC.

How would the voltage increase on the fans affect the GPU? Even for just less than 10 seconds? Maybe while the fan speed increased, it caused some electrical charge to build elsewhere in the card?

My EVGA card is still under its original 3 year warranty. Do you recommend I try to get it replaced?

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:31 PM

I'm not sure why you would overvolt your fans. Likely when you overvolted your fans another part of the gpu didn't get enough power

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users