Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharepoint/Intranet/Office 365 Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

My company is lookin go to implement a full service intranet using Sharepoint an Office 365 licenses and I don't know where to begin. We currently use Sharepoint but it's poorly organized and I have a HR person telling me there's a company that could get us up and running soon but the investment is $30-40k minimum using templated from spmarketplace.com.

If anyone could give me some guidance or places to look, I would greatly appreciate this. We want to be able to have HR, Acct, IT, and a central communication maybe using Yammer(I've been trying on Slack lately). 

Thanks again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cchughes

cchughes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Bulldawg23,

Full disclosure: We are a consulting that specializes in Intranets and SharePoint. But I'll give you an objective answer. $30-40k would be a pretty small investment, IF you want it to be successful long-term. We have done hundreds of implementations and speak frequently on the causes of project failure. In fact, 60% of our new proposals are actually to companies who already have SharePoint and are coming back to us for project rescue, or what we now call CPR. This is 60% of our work, so ye, the failure trend is alive and well. I say all of that to say that it doesn't have to fail, but as a rule of thumb, we put 80% of the investment (time) into what we call planning and control. We call this our 40/20/40 principle. 40% on planning, 20% on technology implemention and 40% on control of the project.

The technology "configuration" will be the easy part. It's understanding your audience (PEOPLE) - the users, personas, how they work today, how they prefer to work tomorrow, etc. You want whatever you build to be "in the flow." In other words, it shouldn't be yet another system...it should be friction-free and easy, and a part of their normal routine and flow of their day. This drives adoption, which drives engagement, which drives sharing and collaboration, which drives innovation, ...and it goes on and on.  In short: If you build a great Intranet with all the bells and whistles, and no one uses it (or uses it very little), then what's the ROI? Zero. ROI comes from the use of technology, not technology itself. That's one major component - the people. 

The other component is, "Why are you doing this?" We've got thousands of questions we ask clients to help them understand what is driving this, but you have to answer these questions. What does an Intranet mean to your organization? Is it a place where users get the latest news, or a place where people are social and collaborate. What about document management? Anything else? Integration with other things? Dashboards? Reporting? You have to define what it is to your organization.

Sorry for the long answer, but we are super-passionate about making sure these projects are successful. It's why we exist. We have developed specific methodologies for the planning and control of these type of projects - they are different. We've also got a ton of tools and resources on our website and you can see most of our presentations on YouTube or SlideShare. I'll put links below.  

Can you get an Intranet for 30-40k? Yes, but is it one that will add any value?  Reach out to me any time.

Best of luck,

Curtis

C5 Insight

http://www.c5insight.com

http://c5in.co/c5videos

http://c5in.co/c5slides 

#3 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the answer, Curtis. You're right- one concern I have is ROI and making sure people actually use it. I'm IT Director for the company, and this is being driven by me and Human Resources who are doing 3 times the work they need to do. With a digital workplace, they could streamline so many things. And I'm looking for an internal Help Desk and trying to create a Knowledge Base.

Anyway, I am willing to listen to anything now. Perhaps you could help and offer some insight here. Is $30-40k low? They're using templates from spmarketplace.com so it can't be that high, can it? Anyway, maybe your company should bid on the work. I am very open- I just have to sell it to the people with the purse strings, but I have a lot of clout.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

Office365 and SharePoint Online are fairly easy to set up and configure. However, be aware that while migrating emails, calendars and contacts to Office 365 is fairly straightforward, there is no Microsoft-supported migration from an on-premise SharePoint server to SharePoint Online.

If you've got lots of workflows, files and folders, etc. that you want move over to the cloud, you're probably better off letting a third-party set that up and migrate the data over. You can try doing it yourself, but it sounds like you don't have extra hands to help with this, and if something goes wrong during the SharePoint migration, you can expect zero tech support from Microsoft.

#5 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

Well, currently our email is hosted through Rackspace so I'm not clear on how that migration would work. They also host Sharepoint for us currently.

We do not have any workflows currently but that's part of why we want to move to a Sharepoint Intranet with Office 365. This is not my area of expertise and my IT Dept consists of me and 2 others who are not very technical but good at following directions. 

I'm trying to look at all options and then make an educated decision about what's best for us.

Thanks for the replies- I really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users