Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Operating Exceptionally Slowly - Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fretallack

fretallack

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:48 PM

Apologies, I don't have much to go on here in terms of diagnosing this.  I didn't make any changes to my computer.  All of a sudden when i booted it up yesterday it operated exceptionally slowly.  Windows seems to load ok, in the sense that I get to the login screen.  After i successfully login, that's where things bog down.  Usually what happens is the desktop tries to load, and the taskbar loads over the course of maybe 10-20 minutes.  My startup apps appear slowly.  From that point, I can try and open say Chrome, and it will open exceptionally slowly.  As i speak, my desktop icons finally appeared after 10 minutes after a safe mode boot.  When i mouse over the start menu, even now, i get the blue "processing" circle.  Windows help and support is trying to load, but the window shows "Not responding".   I have had a couple of popups during various bootups saying "Microsoft Windows is not responding", and oh there we go now Windows help and support seems to be loading, and now its stuck.  I'm slowly able to open Task Manager, and see that the CPU is at 0% and Memory is at 13%.  My last Bios time is 6.5 seconds.  Still taking 5+ minutes to toggle between tabs.  Don't hear any HD activity.  I'm very slowly able to load the windows 8 start menu.  2 minutes.  You get the idea.

I was able to boot into safe mode originally by holding shift when I pressed the power>reset button from the windows 8 login screen.  Before booting into safemode, I tried to run a boot diagnostic, but windows said that it failed.

I booted into safemode with command prompt, things seemed to be running normally (!), at full speed, and i ran MSconfig.  I decided to play with a few settings, including setting safemode-minimal as a default boot setting on the boot tab.  Also, I selected i think it was a bootlog, and maybe a diagnosis option on the general tab?  Then i reset the computer again.  Back to painfully slowly, and the symptoms i wrote about above.

Trying to load MSconfig for you guys again so i can verify precisely what options i selected that may have returned me to the symptoms.

Not sure what other steps to take to help diagnose.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by fretallack, 18 February 2016 - 11:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fretallack

fretallack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

I'll also mention that I did get a windows error message - the Win 8 equivalent of blue screen, which forced me to restart the machine.  It happened during one of my earlier reboot attempts, so I didn't note the error details down at the time.  Will definitely share if it happens again.

Edited by fretallack, 18 February 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#3 fretallack

fretallack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

MS Config finally loaded, what was checked on this last bootup, on the general tab was: Selective Startup:  

- Load System Services is "partially checked" -checkbox box shows a smaller black square in the center rather than a checkmark.

- Load STartup items is checked

- use original boot configuration is unchecked.

#4 TCSNinc

TCSNinc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:45 AM

Similar issues caused me to have to Reset my whole drive.

If you get what I got you'll find yourself pulling all your JAVA and Adobe crap only to boot back up

with a black snow screen so you can't see what you're doing.

From this point it's impossible to get to Safe Mode because even if you Alt + Ctrl + Del

to emergency Task Manger screen the blinder is still there.

Now for me, I haven't had a good Reset in nearly two years so my registry was pretty mangy

I've also had some seriously nasty crashes noobing some heavy poly meshes into 3D programs that couldn't digest them.

Substance Painter not only caused a hard reset but I had to hard reset twice to my desktop back.

Also, if your in a country where A/C isn't necessary - it's been a lot hotter this year so if you haven't flushed the dust from system recently that could be the cause too.

But in all honesty I think Bill is getting desperate to get 10 on systems and so those computers running 8.1 are going to start

experiencing 'issues' more often because they don't have the greatness that is 10.

And I tell you what - if 10 gets on my system I'm going to get my hands on a list of all those Warner Bros like companies who

cried 'copyright infringement' and boycott their bleep.

I've had a enough bleepin' Batman...really, I have.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Open the Search charm and type msconfig in the search box.  When msconfig appears below the search box tap/click on it to open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.   

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

(1)  Click/tap on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will remain running. 

(3)  Click/tap on Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.  Click/tap on Restart in the window that opens.

Does the problem persists after restarting?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 fretallack

fretallack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:11 PM

Hi DC3

Sorry for the delay in responding, this issue happened just before I went on vacation.  I'm back and ready to tackle this!

Ok - Thanks for the input.  I tried your first step, disabled all non MS Services - the clean boot, and the problem does persist upon reboot.  still slow as all hell.

Edited by fretallack, 07 March 2016 - 11:16 PM.

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:46 AM

Test your hard drive.

Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

p.s. how much RAM do you have?

Edited by jcgriff2, 14 March 2016 - 08:25 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#8 fretallack

fretallack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

Hey guys - I took a look at seatools, but it doesn't look like there is a version that works for windows 8.  Also it would be hard for me to burn a CD, but maybe if I need to do something like this I can go for a bootable USB?

I checked the System section under control panel, and it can't seem to detect how much RAM i have - not sure if that's a clue...  My Toshiba model is supposed to come with 6 GB DDR3

In absence if seatools, I tried running the windows Error Checking tool for my hard drive.  First it says I don't need to scan, but I scan anyway, and right away it says "Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired.  Close this dialog box and then repair the drive."  When I press "Show details" It tells me the event log service is unavailable, and the "Event Viewer" pops up empty.

Ok, so I'm supposed to repair the drive.. How?  I read that restarting the computer should kick off the repair process, but when i restarting nothing happened.

Update: Ran ChkDsk from the command prompt, restarted and it seemed to check the HD, but when I checked back, we were just back to the windows login screen, no scan results or anything to report...  Computer still dogging it.

Edited by fretallack, 13 March 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

SeaTool for DOS does support Windows 8.

Since it appears that you can run scans on this computer I'm going to suggest that you run SeaTools for Windows.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.  

Did you go back to System Configuration and reset the settings to the default settings?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

Sounds like your hard drive is failing, especially in light of the bad sectors.

It should be replaced. Run the diagnostics test first as mentioned by dc3.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users