Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ctrl alt del locked me out of my computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce10189

applesauce10189

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

I should probably preface this with a couple things, first off, I feel like this COULD be related to a recent problem I've had. I'm not 100% sure whether or not it's relevant, but it's worth noting the possibility. Second thing, ignore "couple things" from the beginning of this because I've entirely forgotten the second thing I was going to make note of.

So, I purchased a game, played it, suddenly performance took a hit, so I decided to alt-tab and kill off some ram/cpu intensive programs, like chrome and spotify, although alt-tab instead turned it into a frozen black screen. Now, I'm well aware that if you sit and wait patiently, blocks of ice tend to sort themselves out, but quite frankly I'm impatient, especially when I have nothing to do but sit and stare, so I decided to use ctrl alt delete to force task manager up, but that's where it got weird, ctrl alt delete took a while to do anything, that's not unheard of during a freeze, but what happened next is something I've never heard of happening, the ctrl alt delete screen loaded perfectly, except one thing, the menu. There was no menu, no way for me to get out of that screen, I mean, what are you gonna do? Ctrl alt delete the ctrl alt delete? It just doesn't work that way, so I had no choice but to hold the power button. Here's where another weird thing comes into play, as usual it detected it didn't shut off properly and asked if I wanted to boot into safe mode, as usual I went with normal mode, but for some reason, and I have literally zero idea why, it just decided to run CHKDSK, it didn't even start booting I just selecting normal boot and it gave me CHKDSK, only thing worth noting about the CHKDSK results is it found an unindexed file, after the CHKDSK finished everything booted as normal. Haven't actually tried ctrl alt again since, will do after posting this though.

EDIT: Problem solved, tried ctrl alt delete and this time it came with a menu, will update if anything else comes up that's relevant. I'd still like an explanation on the CHKDSK though, that seemed pretty random.

Edited by applesauce10189, 18 February 2016 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

Windows will often run a 3-stage chkdsk on a hard drive when it detects file problems, particularly those which may impair booting.

IMO, a successful boot after this...should be followed by the user running the chkdsk /r command, which is a 5-stage process and more robust than the 3-stage chkdsk run by Windows.

Louis

#3 applesauce10189

applesauce10189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

"Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another

process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be

checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>"

Went with yes because I assumed it'll remember I went with the 5-stage as opposed to the default 3-stage.

Edited by applesauce10189, 19 February 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

:thumbup2: , let us know if you have problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users