Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headaches from computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cbale45

cbale45

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

I bought a 2011 iMac a few months ago from an eBay recycler. My girlfriend and I instantly experienced an overall crap feeling when using it or just being in the same room; headaches, fatigue ect. We eventually considered it was allergies, though neither of us have any, so I opened it up, took an air can to it and kept it in the garage to air it out. Brought it back in a few days later and it didn't fix things. So I threw it back in the garage, got really busy, missed the return date and ended up buying another computer. Finally today I was working in there for the first time in a while and began to get a gnarly headache. I usually only get headaches from a missed caffeine break, so I drank a coffee but it still persisted and got a lot worse. I eventually remembered that I had this computer in there and now I'm seriously considering, as crazy as it sounds, that it's the hardware. Is that possible, or is it possible that they refurbished it with something? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

This sounds very weird.. I would probably ask a doctor.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:20 PM

Captain is correct, I would take the computer back to the garage and leave it there. Hard to believe that a computer is causing this but at least you could cross it off your list

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#4 cbale45

cbale45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:53 PM

Yeah it's bizarre. Trust me, I was in denial. I strongly considered it was psychosomatic and that maybe initially it was something else but we kept relating it to the computer. Whatever the case, it was still an issue so I kept it in the garage.

However, after today I'm pretty convinced. The computer didn't cross my mind once, I thought it was only an issue when it was on and blowing things out of the vents so I had 100% forgotten about it. It wasn't until a couple of hours after the fact, when the headache actually got pretty bad that I thought about what was going on.

The only thing I can imagine is it may have gotten something toxic on it or in it. There is like some weird substance on the back, looks kind of like glue. I'm wondering if someone genuinely intended for it to be disposed of, rather than them just turn around and sell it. 

I actually contacted them as well they could only tell me that they recycled it from an office environment. And without me even asking, offered a return. 3 months out. Probably being courteous but makes me wonder as well. Definitely regret going cheap.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

The plastic that makes up the case on almost all machines is made from petroleum and is in a constant state of deterioration, mostly "offgassing" from the surface.  This can be sensed by some by smell, like the new car smell.  Heat may increase the levels given off.  I only experienced a serious case with a user, but it was an old CRT display that would water your eyes, you didn't even have to look at it and only when it was on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users