Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How big of an SSD do I need?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:28 PM

The HDD in my main system I just built is in decline(HDD was salvaged from a junk system). I've got a separate Raid setup for my data. Just looking to have my OS(Linux Mint 17.3 kde) and programs on the SSD.  I'm currently using 51.9GiB of a 250Gib drive(16GiB is virtual machine files). I'm looking to spend around $50. I'm seeing a bunch of 120 Gb drives on Newegg in that price range.  That seems like it would work. I realize they're not top of the line brands for that price but I don't need outrageous speed.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

Really this is your choice. You could spend less and get less space, which may be important in the future, but I have no way of knowing.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

Really this is your choice. You could spend less and get less space, which may be important in the future, but I have no way of knowing.

I see you're running a 120Gb SanDisk SSD. Are you happy with it?

As I said, this drive is just going to be for the OS. I have a 320Gb Raid1 set up as my main storage and another 320Gb drive to back that up. Also another 160Gb drive for whatever installed as well. This is going to be my first SSD and as such, I'm considering purchasing is as much for the novelty factor as because I need it. I could always just move the OS onto the 160Gb drive.

I think I've decided on a Corsair Force LS 120Gb drive.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#4 TamFire

TamFire

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:54 PM

Currently, I'm running a 256Gb OCZ SSD in my Lenovo G50 laptop and I have to say that I absolutely love it. The read and write speeds were slightly higher then others in its price range and I've had absolutely no problems with it for a year so far. Mine was a bit out of your price range ($100) but they did offer it in a smaller size for cheaper.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,291 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

Well...I have both XP and Win 7 dual-booted and installed on a 120GB hard drive on this system, along with installed programs.  On my other desktop, I use a 240GB drive only because I purchased several when the prices dropped.

As long as you are not storing data files on the drive...I see no need for a larger SSD.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

It really depends on your use & preferences.  I have a test system with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 all on a 240 GB SSD (partitioned with triple boot), and it works fine.  I have Linux Mint 17.3 on an 8 GB USB3 flash drive, and it suits my purposes just fine; it boots up in about 30 seconds from a USB 3 port, 55 seconds from a USB 2 one.  I see where you can buy 240 GB SSDs now for $60, so maybe spending an extra $10 for a 240 GB SSD might be a good investment for you.  Linux doesn't use that much space so it really depends on how much space you need for programs and data.  With that 250 GB of hard drive space, you shouldn't have much of a problem I wouldn't think.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 19 February 2016 - 01:24 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

It all depends what one is going to use a ssd for.

I have several ssd's from 120gb to 500gb. For me at least I can do just about anything with 120gb © partition and have plenty of free space.

Like Louis I bought several ssd's when the price was right.

Ssd's come in very handy if one has HotSwap bays. Put on the ssd what ever one desires and just pop them in and out.

Backups or Clones from ssd to ssd is super fast.

I have one hard drive left in my systems and when it ever gives me problems I will not buy another hard drive.

The two biggest problems I read about ssd's are:

1. Bought to small of ssd.

2. Ssd's are habit forming. Once you use ssd's you want more of them.

I personally use Intel ssd's. They are not the fastest when testing but they are reliable.

#8 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

I just ordered a Corsair Force LS 120Gb drive from Newegg, as well as a ByTecc USB 3.0 hub/ssd/hdd bracket to properly mount the drive(the 2.5" hdd that's being replaced is currently held to the back panel behind the hdd cage with a couple zip ties). Also added another 8Gb stick of ram so I can run the board in dual channel mode as the Newegg kit I got only included (1) stick of ram with a dual channel board.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,291 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

I have all Corsair SSDs...I think that you will be pleased with your purchase :).

Louis

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

I'm sure you'll like what you've bought.  FWIW mine are PNY on one PC and Samsung on another.  Both of these are working fine too, so next time you're for an SSD, there's a good selection of SSDs that work fine.  AND they're all so much faster than hard drives.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users