Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows fails to boot after deploying install.wim

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BoredToDeath

BoredToDeath

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

Using command prompt I have cleaned the drive, created a primary partition, and extracted install.wim from a windows 7 installation disk and deployed it using dism. Upon trying to boot, the laptop simply asks me to choose what device to boot from continuously. Am I missing something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:30 AM

Any reason why not using the traditional way - use Win 7 installation DVD to install Windows into the notebook?

#3 BoredToDeath

BoredToDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

I am attempting to install windows 7 on an ssd connected by usb. Is there another way to do this?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

I might be wrong, but doesn't the W7 installer allow you to choose your target disk?

Have you enabled USB in your boot options in the BIOS?

#5 BoredToDeath

BoredToDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:47 PM

No, it wont target the ssd because it is connected by USB. I have attempted to do so.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Have you enabled USB in your boot options in the BIOS?

#7 paulaugust

paulaugust

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

Checkout your USB boot BIOS option whether you have chosen correct options or not and check out that is it caching correct or not.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

Part of the installation of Windows 7 includes creating the System Reserved Partition.  The System Reserve partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  Without this partition you will not be able to boot into Windows 7.  The only way I know of to install this partition is to do a conventional installation of Windows 7 with either a installation disc or flash drive.  This partition will not have a drive letter assigned to it.  The only way to see it is by viewing the Disk Management.

No matter what installation media you choose (disc or flash drive) I would suggest installing the SSD internally in this computer.  This should make recognition of this drive a non-issue.

Since you have the installation disc I would suggest that you use it to make the installation.  In order to boot from the installation disc or flash drive you will need to change the boot order in the BIOS.  To use the installation disc (probably the easiest option) you will need to make the optical drive the first device in the boot order, the SSD would be made the second device in the boot order.  

With Windows 7 there is a possibility that the motherboard is old enough that there will not be an options to enable a USB device in the boot order.  If this is the case you will not be able to boot from a USB port. 

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

Using command prompt I have cleaned the drive, created a primary partition, and extracted install.wim from a windows 7 installation disk and deployed it using dism. Upon trying to boot, the laptop simply asks me to choose what device to boot from continuously. Am I missing something?

This is a very convoluted method of trying to install Windows 7 which I doubt would actually work.

Part of the installation of Windows 7 includes creating the System Reserved Partition.  The System Reserve partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  Without this partition you will not be able to boot into Windows 7.  The only way I know of to install this partition is to do a conventional installation of Windows 7 with either a installation disc or flash drive.  This partition will not have a drive letter assigned to it.  The only way to see it is by viewing the Disk Management.

No matter what installation media you choose (disc or flash drive) I would suggest installing the SSD internally in this computer.  This should make recognition of this drive a non-issue.

Since you have the installation disc I would suggest that you use it to make the installation.  In order to boot from the installation disc or flash drive you will need to change the boot order in the BIOS.  To use the installation disc (probably the easiest option) you will need to make the optical drive the first device in the boot order, the SSD would be made the second device in the boot order.  

With Windows 7 there is a possibility that the motherboard is old enough that there will not be an options to enable a USB device in the boot order.  If this is the case you will not be able to boot from a USB port. 

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 BoredToDeath

BoredToDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

The reason I have been trying to install Windows 7 in this method is because I do not have access to the BIOS and I am unable to boot from a USB drive or optical drive. That being said, I do have physical access to the SSD and I do have another desktop computer at hand.

I would prefer not having to install the SSD inside of my desktop computer instead of simply using a hard drive dock. If my only option right now is to open my desktop computer and plug in the SSD, I will do so but in last resort.

The laptop is a Lenovo thinkpad yoga 12 if this is still of significance.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

How did you create the bootable install USB? Have you tried Rufus? Lenovo should give you a boot menu by tapping F12 at boot where it will give you a list of boot devices including your USB flash drive.

#12 BoredToDeath

BoredToDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:40 AM

I did not create a bootable install USB, however I have tried the boot menu of f12. USB devices do not appear on that menu. This would have been simple if that were the case.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

The reason I have been trying to install Windows 7 in this method is because I do not have access to the BIOS and I am unable to boot from a USB drive or optical drive.

Can you tell us why you don't have access to the BIOS?  Are you the owner of this computer?

#14 BoredToDeath

BoredToDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

I have been given this laptop, however the previous owner had his BIOS locked. In the current circumstances I cannot retrieve the password from this person.

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

I have been given this laptop, however the previous owner had his BIOS locked. In the current circumstances I cannot retrieve the password from this person.

Okay, I understand now.

I did not create a bootable install USB, however I have tried the boot menu of f12. USB devices do not appear on that menu. This would have been simple if that were the case.

The USB must be bootable otherwise it will not show up in the list of devices when you hit F12.  As JohnC_21 suggested, you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB and try again.  Please report back and confirm whether it shows up now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users