Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Naranthor

Naranthor

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

Where to start? Well, yesterday (17/02/16), when I turned my computer on, it gave me the Windows 7 build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine message in the lower right corner of my screen and tried to get me to enter a key via popup. I have been using this PC with this OS since early 2014 (when I installed it), so this was rather suprising. This also came with a spiking CPU (could go from 0% to 45% while doing very little) or a CPU that would be under generaly high load for what it's doing. RAM usage also seemed rather high. I also got some BSODs (didn't note them down, but if I will if I get them again). It also seems to have set my default homepage in firefox to "chrome://ubufox/locale/ubufox.properties", but that could be down to it being synced with my Ubuntu laptop.

Edit: Got one of the BSODs: ***STOP:0x00000101 (0x0000000000000021,0x0000000000000000,0xFFFFF88003165180,0x0000000000000002)

What I've tried:

Chkdsk /r (did one pass, which took something like 8 hours and seems to have fixed a good chunk of the problem, must have scheduled a second as it said the volume was clean when i booted the second time, also seems to have improved system stability and performance somewhat).

Run various anti virals (Antimalware bytes [11 malware removed supposedly] at the advice of a friend, Kapersky's online scanner [3 Malware removed supposedly] and a scan with my own Webroot [nothing found, but it may have been the short scan]. Note: Only Webroot is installed now).

Installed the latest version of Java (after doing some google-fu).

Downloaded Window's own verification tool and ran it (came back negative).

Edited by Naranthor, 19 February 2016 - 07:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naranthor

Naranthor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

well, it would seem that I had to talk to a Microsoft employee over the phone to see about activating my (newly installed) windows on my other hard drive, instead of the automated phone function that I've used in the past, which would indicate that the Windows 7 build 7601 prompt is legitimate, not malware. Or I thought that until, a while after entering the code, the message came back in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  I've also discovered that my 1 TB hard drive, which is still under warranty, has bad sectors and failed a Seatools long generic test. I'll probably send the 1TB drive off to Novatech for a replacement come wednesday.

Edited by Naranthor, 20 February 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#3 Naranthor

Naranthor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

To sum up, I am going to send my hard drive back to the people I purchased it from for repairs and if Windows+whatever else is still acting up, then I'll post here again.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

Ok thanks..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users