Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Defender

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jayne0110

Jayne0110

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:20 AM

Hi everyone. Hope someone can help me with this please.
I installed Windows Defender but my computer keeps telling me that MSASCui.exe isn't installed and also MSVCR80.dll isn't either.
Can someone tell me how I can rectify this problem. I have looked on the Microsoft site for help but can't seem to locate anything that I can use.
I am a bit of a novice with all the technical stuff so please be patient with me if I appear to ask silly questions!!
Thanks for any help offered.
Kind regards
Jayne0110
:thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 November 2006 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:15 AM

MSASCui.exe is part of Microsoft Windows Defender, which is a spyware removal program originated from Windows AntiSpyware. MSASCui.exe is run in background silently.

Uninstall Windows Defender in add/remove programs in your control panel, reboot and then reinstall it from the Microsoft website.

Microsoft Windows Defender
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 July 2006 - 04:15 AM.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:25 AM

Hi Jayne0110, welcome to BC.
It's a known issue with some defender installs.
In windows explorer, go to your c:\program files\windows defender folder.
Locate and delete the "MSASCui.exe.manifest" file. Restart your computer.

#4 Jayne0110

Jayne0110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:41 AM

Hi Hit Squad and Enthusiast.
Thank you both so much for your help and such quick responses to!
Have resolved problem and now all working fine.
:thumbsup:
Much appreciated.
Jayne0110

#5 Vasni

Vasni

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

Thanks HitSquad, you tha man! :thumbsup:

I had removed and reinstalled Defender a couple of times with no improvement. Kept getting the MSASCui.exe error message at boot-up.

I finally read your post on my first visit to this site, deleted the MSASCui.exe.manifest file as you suggested and all works as it should. I verified MSASCui was running with the Windows Task Manager.

Reggards,

Vasni

#6 eurekabiz

eurekabiz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

I think Windows Defender is also hogging my processor time, so my Google search led me to this thread in this forum.

In my C:\Program Files I do see a Windows Defender folder, but none of the 18 files it contains is MSASCui.exe.manifest . So I can't follow the advice above and delete it and reboot my computer (an 18-month-old Toshiba laptop running Windows XP SP2.)

The Windows Defender file does, however contain a file named MSASCui.exe . Should I delete that file?

I'd still also appreciate instructions on HOW TO UNINSTALL WINDOWS DEFENDER, and also recommended alternative spyware/malware protection programs.

THANKS!

#7 eurekabiz

eurekabiz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

Oops! I forgot to check the 'Enable email notification of replies?' box when I added my reply above. So I'm posting this reply only to enable that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users