Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 pro 64 bit will not find an Op sys.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 edz

edz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

A while ago I was restarting/shutting down the PC.  A message after awhile came up on the screen.  "Windows is not able to shut down as a running program is preventing it.  Click here if you want to force closure.  Data may be lost."  Stupidly I clicked on the button. The pc restarted and said it could not find an operating system.  Fortunately I had a Win 7 64 bit repair diskfrom my laptop which runs Win 7 Home Premium.  I put it in the CD drive and lo and behold the pc read it ,then asked if I wanted to start Win 7. I thought about it and it automatically started the PC in Win 7 Pro.  I assume that in the PC Boot manager section on the PC hard drive got corrupted.  I have a full Win 7 Pro operating system on the pc hard drive. It was put there on the C: drive by Microsoft when I had an update problem and their fix was to completely reload the op system.   I am not sure weather I can just replace some of the Boot manager files with the Microsoft downloaded files.

Right now and for a month or more all is OK,  if the Boot/repair CD is in the CD drive.  I would like to fix the problem.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.   

Edited by edz, 18 February 2016 - 05:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have all of your important data backed up to removable media?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 edz

edz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

The PC is an HP Compaq 6005.  Yes to the data backup I use Syncback. It runs every week.

Data is saved on a 1 Terrabyte Toshiba external drive.  The last PC Hard Drive just Quit and I lost 4 months of data.

I dont back up the whole operating system since if it fails again I would probably go to a new Operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users