Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which OS for an older PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

I have an older PC that I got from the college I went to. It is about 7 yrs old. It has 1GB of memory in it with a 300GB HD. I am wondering which OS would be best to place on it whether it is 7, 8 or 10 or all 3 to get an idea which OS has fewest lags? Can i get some opinions from you guys which 1 you think is best, plz. Also, if u need more info on specs, let me know.

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

With only 1 Gb of ram, this will exclude windows os.

Have a read about Puppy Linux,  HERE  

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

thx but i will stick with windows.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:40 PM

good luck.

System requirements Windows OS 8 and 8.1....   

Windows 7

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor*
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Windows 10.....Read  

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

good luck.

System requirements Windows OS 8 and 8.1....   

Windows 7

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor*
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Windows 10.....Read 

Wow, so i can run win 10 on it?

thx

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

READ FURTHER

I doubt strongly that the hardware will be capable of supporting Win 10....and i would have serious doubts concerning its ability to run win 7, 8 or 8.1 without major lag

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

Can you give me the brand and model of your laptop? I'll look up something for you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:51 AM

What OS was/is on the system?

Whichever Windows OS you decide on, I would give serious thought to upgrading the RAM from 1 GB to 4 GB, regardless if it is a 64-bit or 32-bit  system.

If it currently has Windows running, you should run the upgrade advisors -

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor -
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20
Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant (direct download link) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=321548
Windows 8 " "  FAQ - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

I don't believe there is a stand-alone version for Windows 10.

One thing that you could do if you have the time - test each OS before you buy it.

Windows 10 Trial version -
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise
Windows 8.1 Trial - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-8-1-enterprise
Windows 7* - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11093

* The Windows 7 trial version link I supplied is actually for Windows Server 2008 R2 -- which is basically the same build as Windows 7; just has more server features.

The hardest part of deciding which OS to go with depends on whether device drivers exist for your hardware components such as video, audio, wifi, Ethernet. You can check with the system manufacturer.

Good luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 19 February 2016 - 01:52 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:20 AM

You should consider Jcgriff2's suggestion to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB.  Yeah, it's technically possible to run Windows 10 32 bit version in 1 GB, but you'd have to be a masochist or someone who enjoys always running at a snail's pace.  Crucial.com has a utility you can download and run that will give you options for upgrading the RAM.  It's not that expensive to add RAM.  I have two 6 year old desktops running everything from Vista to 10, but I've upgraded the RAM on them to 6 and 8 GB.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

The RAM issue is only a part of the equation here (albeit, a very big part).

1 gB of RAM will work initially on Vista and W7 systems - but will quickly slow down the system to the point where it's torture to use it.

Even 2 gB on Vista systems is slow.

It's not the OS that causes this, it's the 3rd party programs.  As Windows has developed, and as hardware has become cheaper, it's become more acceptable for programs to eat up more resources when running.  These programs will work just fine on a recent system, but will cause older systems to react as if they're working in quicksand.

This not only includes regular programs, but also the add-ons that you use to run browsers, etc.

Finally, a system with only 1 gB of RAM is likely to be borderline in other respects (slower processor, older video, etc).

Let us know the specs, but don't expect much in the way of changes to our suggestions.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:46 AM

Take it from someone who's PC barely meets the min. requirements to run 10 at all. Pay attention to the advice being given.

Also research your PC can actually be upgraded and which components and by how much.  My motherboard and bios will only support 1 more stick of 4 GB memory and nothing else is upgradeable easily. CPU and HDD are actually soldered to the MOBO not plugged in.

Something else you need to consider any updates you will later get some are quite large.  So you need an internet connection with a decent speed.to avoid failed downloads.

My first was not really fast enough so I had to upgrade, but I really should have bought the next higher level than I did.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,157 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

thx but i will stick with windows.

the issue is your ram, now if you can upgrade your ram please do so.

Now if for some dumb reason your computer doesnt support larger ram then linux may be the best bet for older machines

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

You might find this topic of some interest. It relates to a notebook that came through my hands recently which was very similar in its capabilities to those which you quote, ie 1.6Ghz processor and 1GB of RAM -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604704/samsung-notebook-np-n140-and-linux/

As I was advised, I installed Mint XFCE on it and it turned it from something I was considering advising its owner to bin into quite a nice little notebook.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users