Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram not detected even while running WIN 10 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arniix

Arniix

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

i bought a new 2gb DDr3 ram 1333mhz for my desktop

i had the same problem i dod fix it 

after 4 months i cleaned my pc now i got the problem again

the problem is 6gb ram (3.94 Gb ) usable 

all my ram are the same but not the brand 

2+2+2 sticks of Ddr3 1333 (i did work before )

i have a dual channel motherboard with 4 ram slots 

how did i fix it before 

Well Msconfig - Boot - advanced options - maxumim memoory i ddid set it to 6144 buz i have 6 gb

but now i set it to 6144 it goes back to 2048 & runs 4096 

so frustrating 

Thanks by the way 

error 0164 memory size decreased

but in this case i have a matching ram that worked earlier 

ALL THE STICKS WORK when i plug 2 of them but 3 nope 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

3 memory sticks is always worse optiopn than 2 or 4. Also not all setups support 3 stick configurations. So 4 sticks may solve problem.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:01 AM

I suspect drilling machine is probably on the right track,  your motherboard is most likely set up for dual channel, and is unable to run single channel, or least not in the second two slots you may need to get a matching memory. 

Though, just to be safe, have you tried one stick in all the ram slots to make sure the ram slots are all functioning correctly?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

What is your motherboard brand and model?

#5 Arniix

Arniix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

thanks i solved the problem just by changing my Ram slots over & over for 14 times 

it gaves me 

Error 0164 : memory size decreased & 6144 MB 

6GO (4.94) usable '1GO" more to go LOL

i rebooted & im good 

Thanks

#6 Arniix

Arniix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

years later .... this is a rams problem this is a problem mixing between ECC & NON-ECC memory with the same rams & cpu on an other motherboard you need to plug the normal ram first then the ecc ones ine by one & make sure that they get recognized while doing so if you reach 6gb then you're good the last one should work right away :) my case the 1st ram needed to be in the right slot (most far from socket)  

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Arniix

Arniix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HhS42NcigIbaHi88imzth60

i found out 2 other pcs with the same problem with asus z77 and ECC memory ; a friend of mine who had the same lenovo pc hit motherboard bios chip died because of this problem now it displays just that

he cannot press f1 & proceed with the boot neither can he flash the bios or access it 

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

The following information is from the Crucial Community.  It explains why you don't want to mix ECC and non-ECC modules.

When adding new memory, you should match what is already in your system. Adding non-ECC memory to an ECC system will disable the error-checking and correcting ability of your memory modules. While your system may still operate, the enhanced features of the ECC modules will no longer be active in your computer.

You can determine if your system has ECC by simply counting the number of black memory chips on each module. ECC (and parity) memory modules have a chip count divisible by three or five. This extra chip detects if the data was correctly read or written by the memory module. If the data wasn't properly written, the extra chip will correct it in many cases (depending on the type of error). Non-ECC (also called non-parity) modules do not have this error-detecting feature. Any chip count not divisible by three or five indicates a non-parity memory module.

Using ECC decreases your computer's performance by about 2 percent. Current technology DRAM is very stable, and memory errors are rare, so unless you have a need for ECC, you are better served with non-parity (non-ECC) memory.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users