Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need drivers for friend's laptop (downgraded from Windows 10)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

My co-worker asked me to find drivers for his new laptop that he downgraded to Windows 7 (64-bit) from Windows 10. I taught him how to install an OS and how to format drives using Gparted awhile back. He apparently did that and put Windows 7 on it. At work, he showed me a computer with a long list of drivers missing when I went into Devices and Printers and saw his system. I am the only person that he trusts to find the drivers and install them. This includes USB drivers. I found one but I could not install it because no network driver and no USB drivers. CD Drive works, Thank Arceus. I need to show up with a disc burned of all the drivers on Wednesday.

His computer is a HP 15-f233wm

and in Devices & Printers clicking the computer shows this long list that he had to take a picture of and send me when I asked for the model number

Ethernet Controller

Network Controller

PCI Data Acquisition & Signal Procces

PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller

SM Bus Controller

Universal Serial Bus (USB Controller)

Unknown Device

Unknown Device

Unknown Device

Unknown Device

Unknown Device

Note: He only has standard VGA driver for video atm

I could not find a single driver. There is a post on HP forums where a lady claimed to have found most of the drivers, but I could not find a single one. There were several replies with about 6 or so more drivers which the OP claimed worked and said that anybody with the same model laptop to get them from there. However, all but one of the links to those drivers were broken links. This was only a few months ago too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

The computer was designed for Windows 10 so it is entirely possible some of the drivers you want are not available for Windows 7.

Right click each device in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Look at the first line. Copy and paste that line into a Google search or you can go to PCIdatabase.com and look up the Vendor and Device ID numbers to see what if any drivers are available.

Your USB drivers are probably for USB 3.0. USB 3.0 drivers are not native to Windows 7. 

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

I have USB 3.0 drivers on my Windows 7 laptop. They were installed with AMD Catalyst though. There is only one USB 3.0 port, the rest are 2.0. I don't know about his though.

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 18 February 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

You can provide the Vendor and Device ID of each device under Hardware IDs and I can try to find Windows 7 drivers. I need the complete first line.

devicedriverdetails_thumb.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 February 2016 - 05:02 PM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

When I put Windows on my laptop I had trouble identifying and finding drivers for it, to solve that I installed HP assistant and ran it, It identified all my drivers and downloaded them from HP, Once that was done I uninstalled HP assistant.

Most HP laptops come with HP assistant pre installed, some consider it bloatware but it might be an option.

Download HP Support Assistant by Hewlett-Pachard

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

I had to copy all the hardware IDs by hand because he has no internet, USB, nothing. I can't copy and paste. Also I had to wait until I saw him at work

The hardware IDs are

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_8175103C&REV_07
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_197D103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22DC&SUBSYS_8175103C&REV_21
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2298&SUBSYS_8175103C&REV_21
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2292&SUBSYS_8175103C&REV_21
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B5&SUBSYS_8175103C&REV_21
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B1&SUBSYS_8175103C&REV_21
ACPI\MSFT0101
ACPI\INT3403
ACPI\INT3400
ACPI\INT33FF
ACPI\HPQ6001

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_8175103C&REV_07

Download 

Win8, Win8.1 and Server 2012 Auto Installation Program (SID:1801829)

8.043 2016/1/25 9547k

Edit: Sorry I thought this was for Windows 8 and not 7. For Windows 7 use this one.

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1801793)

7.097 2016/1/25 9641k

This will give you Ethernet. When you have Ethernet then go here to download the intel utility to check for drivers. The wifi driver may be harder to find. I will edit my post when if I find it. If the intel driver detection utility does not solve the yellow exclamation marks next to the 8086 Devices then post back.

I will need some time to find the unknown devices.

Edit: Wireless Driver PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_197D103C&REV_01

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_132572_1

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2016 - 11:06 AM.

#8 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

The RealTek installer you linked me to does not work. it always errors out as

FindFile Failed
followed by another error

The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep mode is enabled. Please Plug the Cable.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:44 AM

Is this the edited version. I first linked to the Windows 8 version. Did you download the version for Windows 7? 

If it was the Windows 7 driver then download and install this HP driver for Ethernet

Did the Wireless driver work?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#10 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

No it did not. it said it was installed correctly and the triangle is gone but it doesn't matter what Ethernet cable I plug into the computer, the computer insists that there isn't a cable plugged in

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

Was this the HP driver I linked to in post#9? Does the Wireless driver work? Finding drivers for a computer designed for Windows 10 can be problematic. If you can get the wireless to work then it may be possible to update the driver via Device Manager. If you can get wireless then download the HP assistant as linked to in NickAu's post.

#12 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

The wireless worked. at first... I ran DriverPack Solutions but 5 or 6 failed to install despite the app said everything was successful. I restarted the computer. I have USB drivers now too. I am still missing the video driver. I preceded to download the Intel Driver Utility, it installed the video driver, when it asked me to restart, I did so, I have the HD video now, but now I cannot even log into the computer at all. Neither the keyboard nor touchpad work when it was working before the restart. I plugged a mouse at work in, and I have a working pointer. I plugged four keyboards in none of them worked. they all work on work computers. I can only get into his guest account, but I cannot do anything because it asks for his password, which I have, but not without a working keyboard it's not possible to type it in. I cannot install anything to get around it on the guest account "normal user". I took his laptop home, tried three of my own keyboards, none worked. All of which work on my computers. That makes 7 keyboards that will not work on his computer. I even plugged one in while logged onto the guest account. *hardware insert* but no driver was installing, and still does not work. using my mouse, I go into device manager, I find in several devices (including keyboard, touchpad, and any USB keyboard that I may try to plug in) yellow triangles that read

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Wireless adapter also now reads this message.

I don't know how a video driver would damage several other driver registry entries

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 24 February 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

I don't believe a video driver would cause these kinds of issues. I never had a video driver that would cause a keyboard or touchpad to fail. Can you login to the computer using the onscreen keyboard and attached mouse? When you get to the login screen click on the blue clock symbol and select onscreen keyboard. Use it to input your password then enter.

If the above does not work then tap F8 at boot and select Repair Computer from the options. Do a System Restore to a date before these driver installs.

I don't know if I would have downloaded and installed Driver Pack Solutions. Was there some reason the person did not want Windows 10?

#14 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

I was able to log in using the onscreen keyboard. I did not know that it was even possible to login using an onscreen keyboard. I forgot there was one in Accessories after logging in, but I never knew you could use it to log in. This information will be helpful because I have had times where my keyboard didn't work on my computers.

He doesn't like Windows 10 because he says it is "stupid". He says that he has never had so many problems with an operating system "Worse than Vista." He had a desktop with Windows 7 and got the free upgrade and after maybe a week, he asked me how to use Gparted to wipe it because he got errors when trying to return to Windows 7 using the "official" way. This was maybe a month after Microsoft started allowing the free download of Windows 10.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Once logged in can you see if there is any keyboard listed? One way to reset your USB control Hubs is to uninstall them in Device Manager and then reboot. It may be better to do a System Restore to a previous date and start again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users