Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any information about www.computer-restore.com?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jstach

jstach

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

I am new here and hoping that someone can help me out.  I am not sure if I have a lingering problem, but I encountered something and wanted to report it and check if others have any experience with it.  I was on youtube actually watching videos about car repair when a pop-up that redirected me to a new webpage occurred (it was the web page of hxxp://www.computer-restore.com) A pop-up box appeared saying I had been infected and it then gave me a phone number to call (866-915-6151).  When I tried to simply close the pop-up, it would go to one of those boxes that asked me if I really wanted to leave the page.  If I continued to try to leave the page, it would then bounce back to the original box each time.  I got caught in an endless loop and could not close my webpage or my browser or get to any other program or window on my computer.  I had to physically turn off the computer to escape.  I am now wondering if I might have a lingering issue from this?  Has anyone else encountered this issue and does anyone know about this site, phone number, and issue?  A google search revealed nothing and I am wondering if this is a new thing?  Any help or information would be appreciated!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 February 2016 - 03:28 PM.
link disabled

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hi jstach :)

These kind of websites/pages/pop-ups are known as "tech support scams". You can read quietman's article below on them to learn more.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry3897161

Closing the web browser and then relaunching it usually eliminates the bogus warning message and is the best way to deal with these scams. If the browser freezes or hangs, you may have to close it with Windows Task Manager by selecting End Task. Afterwards, be sure to refresh (clear) your browser's cache.

This is typically the reason security scanners do not find any malware on the computer after encountering these types of scams.

These are web-based alerts, and therefore contained in your web browser. They usually don't drop any malware on your system, and you won't encounter the same one again (unless you don't clear your cache). So if you hit one, simply kill your web browser process to exit it and continue using your computer normally :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 jstach

jstach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the quick follow up.  I figured it was a scamming attempt, but did not know if something might have been put into my system.  I have cleared the cache and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner in addition to the fact that I have endpoint protection on my system.  I just wanted to be sure I was safe going forward and it sounds like I do not need to worry about this issue - so thanks for the feedback. 

I was also wondering, is there somewhere this should be reported?  When I googled the website and phone number - nothing came up with either of them being identified as problems.  I would just like to help alert others to this info in the case this might be a new set of scammers to look out for.  I know they will just move on to another number and webpage - but at least getting the word out will force them to have to move on and burn some of their resources.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

It is possible to report these websites to their hosts to get them taken down. You would basically have to send an email to the web host's department that handles complaints and provide proof of what you're saying. Usually, I report these websites to Malwarebytes and Emsisoft so they get added in their mutual web protection module. I'm not sure if Antivirus and Antimalware companies send emails themself to hosts behind these websites to get them taken down.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 jstach

jstach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

OK, thanks.  Maybe I'll buzz an email to malwarebytes and emsisoft.  Beyond that, I will just hope this post might show up if others search the specific phone number or web address that hit me so they can learn from what I experienced.  Thanks again for your quick reply and helpful information.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

I already reported the website to both of them so in that case, I got you covered :P

And your post is showing in the top results of Google for that website name, so I'm not worried :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users