Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential Saks $200 gift card virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lex1489

lex1489

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

Hello,
A few weeks ago a close friend of mine sent me a link similar to this one (current first google result when searching "saks $200 gift card"):

• hxxx://saks.rewardscards.co/code/qro8mtre]Get a Saks Fifth Avenue $200 Gift Card[/b   Mod Edit:  Disabled link - Hamluis.

saks.rewardscards.co/code/qro8mtre
    To Celebrate Valentines Day Get a Saks Fifth Avenue $200 Gift Card Simply Invite 3 Friends to Get Your [b]Gift Card
    After 3 Friends Click Your Link.

My link ends .../code/4xdw6ho9/

I thought it was a scam, so I ignored it, but the friend told me she had actually sent the email, and against my better judgement I clicked the link.  I can't remember if it had me enter any information or not.
I was on my Droid Turbo with Android OS 5.1 using Dolphin browser.  My phone says it is up to date with System version 23.21.44.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US vzw.  Build number SU4TL-44.

If you try to go to the link that my friend sent me, and if you try to go to the link above for that matter, the browser gives back "Page cannot be displayed".  Ie the link appears to be broken.

I have noticed odd behavior on my phone browser (Dolphin), though.  A new tab opens on my browser every once in a while with the above URL (with my 7 end characters, not the above-linked address).  The tab shows page cannot be displayed.  It happens in the background, and I only notice it when I start closing other tabs on Dolphin and I notice extra saks.rewardscards.co tabs that weren't there before.

I tried TrendMicro's internet security app scan which found nothing.  I installed that app just for the scan and then uninstalled it.  I have no other security apps on my phone.  Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide that may help.

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,
Alex

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2016 - 04:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:23 AM

Have you tried deleting cached files? I know little about cleaning Android smart phones. If just cleaning or even uninstalling

the browser doesn't get rid of the problem....then you might try asking in the phone's forum for how best to reset the phone to

defaults.

From the web:

Open on your Android Smartphone the Dolphin browser and then tap the dolphin icon at the bottom. This will open a small menu. Tap at the gear-icon next to the dolphin button on the left side. The settings are now open. Tap on Privacy -> Clear data.

You can now selete all personal data that the browser has saved. Put in any case the checkmark in the "Browsing history" checkbox so that it is deleted from your Dolphin Browser.

Once you have made your selection, press "Delete selected data" on the red button at the bottom of the page. You have now successfully cleared the browsing history of the Dolphin Browser on your Android phone.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users