Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 will not let me set any web browser other than Edge

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Duranic

Duranic

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

Long time lurker, first-time poster. I have always found an answer to my issues by searching this forum, but this time I have not found a solution that has worked.

Recently I have been having issues with Microsoft Edge. Anytime I use Edge my computer will spike in CPU usage. I went to go in and change the default browser, but it will not let me select any other browser for .htm or .html files except for Edge. No matter what I try or do I can’t change them. I have gone into the default apps section, and nothing. I have gone into default app program and nothing. It will not let me make the change even to IE. I’m almost ready to just remove Edge off my computer entirely, but I’m not sure if that is a good idea. If anyone can let me know what I can do to set the default program that would be great.

Dell XPS 8500

Intel Core i5-3450 3.10GHz

RAM 24GB

64 bit

Windows 10 Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

What exactly do you mean set default program? You can't browse at all with IE or firefox?

#3 Duranic

Duranic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

Anytime I click a link on email or Skype the computer will always open Edge as the browser. I want my default web browser to be Chrome, but it will not let me set it no matter what I do. I can use Chrome or Firefox anytime, just the default browser is Edge only.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,305 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

You mean you can't do anything in the "Choose default apps by file type" settings, or, better yet, via Control Panel->Default Programs->Set your default programs?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Duranic

Duranic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

Nope, tried both those and no matter what I choose it will not save. I have tried to make Chrome the default many times and it still goes back to Edge. 

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,305 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

Duranic,

Then something's definitely wrong with your Windows installation.  The first thing I'd do is exit all your running applications, open a command prompt that you've elevated to administrator, and run the following commands, one after the other:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  

then shutdown/restart to see if you can reset your default programs.  I have no issue with either the Settings method or Control Panel method and haven't used Edge at all.  If that doesn't make a difference afterward report back.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,305 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

Also, slight correction to the last post.  I'd drop the first DISM (/ScanHealth) command, as /RestoreHealth, includes that as part of it while trying to fix issues that are identified.

It can be useful to do the /CheckHealth DISM command just to see if anything has been flagged.  So I'd stick with:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  

~ Brian Vogel

#8 allman71

allman71

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

Try to right click on Edge browser and see if it has an option to remove from default. When I recently upgraded my parents computer, it seems like that was what I had to do to be able to choose a new default browser.

#9 Duranic

Duranic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

OK, so I have gone ahead and done the DISM scans and still nada. Not sure if you wanted me to list out the log file it generated, it's pretty long. It will still not let me set any other browser as a default no matter which way I try. Edge just doesn't want to let go. I also found this on the web and gave it a shot, still didn't work.  :mellow:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-resetting-file-associations/

#10 Duranic

Duranic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

WooHoo. So I added the file w10_stop_reset-fileasso.reg then did a restart and that FINALLY let me get rid of Edge as the default. Thanks for the help everyone!

#11 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

This topic is related and can give you some extra info.  :wink:

Good you got it working again but be careful with .reg-files...

Greets!

#12 Duranic

Duranic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

This topic is related and can give you some extra info.  :wink:

Good you got it working again but be careful with .reg-files...

Greets!

Yeah I was skeptical at first, but was willing to try anything to get this working. Was close to just removing Edge all together.

#13 KoPPrrr

KoPPrrr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

You mean you can't do anything in the "Choose default apps by file type" settings, or, better yet, via Control Panel->Default Programs->Set your default programs?

This helped me. Windows constantly reverted to Edge as default on its own. Use the original Control Panel to set default browser; not Settings. Settings will then be updated with the default browser, in my case Firefox.

Thx britechguy!

Edited by KoPPrrr, 24 June 2016 - 09:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users