Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I bought 4x speed DVD's by mistake

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

Hi, stupid question time:-  I've always used DVD+R's 4.7GB/ 16x speed/ 120min disks to burn stuff, and have got on fine with them but today I accidentally bought some 4x speeds.

Shall I give them a try anyway or take them back to swop for 16x's tomorrow?

Why do they come in different speeds anyway?

Are 4x's not as good as 16x's, and if so why do people want to buy 4x's?

I'm Win 8.1.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

In my experience, because I wanted the data and music CDs and DVDs to read or play [respectively] in other computers or players [again respectively] that are older than the cd-dvd burner -- I would burn CDs and DVDs at the lowest, slowest, allowed speed; they just seemed to be read and played better.  If you haven't broken the pack and used any, you can probably bring them back and get 16x or whichever speed you would like.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

Thanks but I forgot to mention I've broken the sealed pack of 25 disks.

They cost me 17 GB pounds (24 US dollars).

I want to burn docs, flight sim screenshots and videos, are you saying they'll be okay?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

I think they will be fine; try one or two, if several are no-go, you might be able to do a swap-out.  Lemmie know how those test few work out, thanks!

Edited by RolandJS, 18 February 2016 - 02:51 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

Generally, the slower the recording speed, the better the results.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

As others have said, go ahead and use them.  The only difference I've seen with them is in the time it takes to burn them.  After that they've all worked for me.  The only ones that I've had problems with are the double density ones that can record 9.4 GB; with those you REALLY have to use a slow burn speed, but the 4.7 GB ones should be just fine for you.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

Nothing is wrong with 4x.  4x, 16x, 52x, etc. simply represent the maximum speed that the said discs can be burned.  Also, as mentioned by others, a lower burning speed is usually more reliable whereas with higher speeds you run the risk of making "coasters".

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

Thanks guys, I took the plunge and burnt to the 4x's and everything seems to have worked fine.

I burn stuff like small docs, small screenshots and short vids, so the slower burn time is no problem.

I've always used 16x's in the past and have had the occasional failed disk, but from now on I might as well stick to 4x's because you say they're more reliable.. :)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 20 February 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

Speaking for myself, about cd-rw discs rather than dvds though. 4x discs have never worked for me, on any computer, 12x have always been reliable. As for cd-r discs and dvd+r discs a wider range of speeds of disc have worked for me. This applies on atleast three different computers, with very different types of cd/dvd drives and one of them with a different operating system. I'm not sure why though, because with the 4x cd discs being unable to work on any computer of mine I can't work what sort of computer might be able to use them at all.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users