Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook monitor with only a black strip

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleBho

LittleBho

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

Model:
Notebook Acer Aspire 5720G (dedicated video card GeForce 8400M GS 1GB)

Problem:
Turning on the PC, on the monitor is visible only a black band near the center, everything else is black at the beginning, gradually turns white. Everything remains so.
vBI2yLa.jpg

Solutions tried:
1) I have connected an external monitor to the VGA port and it works perfectly.

2) So i've thought that the problem depended on the dedicated video card and thought I'd use that integrated. I turned on the PC with the connected external monitor and I went to see if in the bios i could disable the dedicated graphics card, but there is no voice/option to do this. Then I thought maybe the VGA port is "controlled" by the integrated video card, so I removed the dedicated video card and I started the PC with the connected external monitor.
Result? The external monitor don't have any signal, and the monitor of the notebook glows instead all in white.

3) I thought it was a problem of physical connection and tried to disconnect and reconnect the internal screen of the notebook, nothing to do ...

What do you think? Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

I have connected an external monitor to the VGA port and it works perfectly

So, obviously, the notebook screen failed or the connector from the screen to the integrated video card.

So i've thought that the problem depended on the dedicated video card

If the external monitor you connected worked perfectly, the problem is not with your integrated vid card. Realistically, replacing the screen might be possible, but not practical. This is a legacy machine and you would have to purchase another off Ebay and swap the screens, if possible. Cheaper to purchase a new laptop and get modern technology with it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 February 2016 - 05:42 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 LittleBho

LittleBho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:58 AM

I have connected an external monitor to the VGA port and it works perfectly

So, obviously, the notebook screen failed or the connector from the screen to the integrated video card.

Nothing of all this!

Solved putting it in the oven the vga at 200° for 10min. Result:

bgg1NvY.jpg

ZT4XSXN.jpg

Edited by LittleBho, 19 February 2016 - 06:02 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

So you have an independent video card, not integrated with the mainboard. Glad you got it working.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users