Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet unplugged but is plugged in

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FrayedLizard

FrayedLizard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

I built a new computer around Christmas time and from the start the Ethernet didn't work I'm able to get on the internet with a Wi-Fi adapter thingy but it's slow so I'd like to fix the problem and I've done so many things that I'm getting sick of trying. The cord works on my other desktop but I don't see what could be wrong I've made sure the settings in BIOS were correct I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver many times and not a single change I saw something about network card might not be working but it says everything is working fine so I don't know what to do.
I'm sorry for the lack of other information I'm currently not home.

Edited by FrayedLizard, 18 February 2016 - 10:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:41 AM

Since this has never worked I'd look at the hardware side first.

Have you inspected the network connector on the computer for physical damage, both external and internal?  If a pin is bent and/or missing you're going to need to RMA the system board.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:05 AM

Is Ethernet enabled?

#4 FrayedLizard

FrayedLizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

I've looked at it and it seems like everything's fine and the Ethernet is enabled

Edited by FrayedLizard, 19 February 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

Download a small linux distro like Fatdog64.

Fatdog64-702.iso 

Burn the iso and boot the CD. If you can connect using Ethernet you know it's a Windows problem.

If the computer has Windows 8 then you may have to disable SecureBoot in UEFI. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users