Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"U.S. DoD to upgrade 4 million devices to Windows 10 by February 2017", ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

The U.S. Department of Defense's Secretary of Defense is directing all DoD agencies running legacy Windows versions to standardize on Windows 10 and deploy it starting immediately.

The DoD's goal is to upgrade approximately "4 million devices and systems" by February 2017, according to a February 17 Microsoft blog post. (I've asked if this total includes phones, too, but haven't been able to find out so far.)

"I'm expecting all this to happen in a year. To me, this means they know their prior Windows machines aren't that secure and this is of the highest importance. The DoD is typically the last to roll things out as it's viewed as safer and more secure. The opposite is turn now. Hackers are moving so fast, the DoD needs the latest tech to combat it," said Patrick Moorhead, President and principal analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/u-s-department-of-defense-to-upgrade-4-million-devices-to-windows-10-by-february-2017/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Thank you I really liked this article and the others linked to as well.

I have to wonder though if the DOD is migrateing because win 10 is better or someone was able to convince them to do it now while they would have time to fix any flaws, or wait until win 10 was the only windows OS left and they had no choice.

In a few years win 10 will be the only windows OS there is.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

The DoD always has choices, and has been known to make some really stupid ones.  There were some significant functions still running under WinXP when I was last paying attention, which was about a year ago.

Kudos to whoever made this decision and is pushing it.  I will never understand why large bureaucracies, whether governmental, military, or in the private sector, insist on dragging their feet on technology upgrading.  It's not like anyone's asking them to be bleeding edge, but many take delaying to uncharted depths of stupidity.  It's better to go with the flow incrementally and as it's happening rather than doing so when something breaks, and often catastrophically, because you've adamantly refused to update due to concerns that cannot even be precisely articulated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

I would think something as big as the DOD would be smart enough to have the latest and greatest technology and be able to use it.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:48 PM

I would think something as big as the DOD would be smart enough to have the latest and greatest technology and be able to use it.

Oh, m'dear, you are so, so gravely mistaken.  Ask those who work for the DoD or who are or have ever been technology-related contractors to the DoD.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

One must always bear in mind the Government and its agencies buy goods and services from the lowest bidder. Not always the best stuff offered for sale.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:57 AM

One must always bear in mind the Government and its agencies buy goods and services from the lowest bidder. Not always the best stuff offered for sale.

Yeah, I don't really see the government doing a full transition to OS X, even if it was free. And if this was true, the government would be running Linux on every single one of their computer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

U.S. DoD to upgrade 4 million devices to Windows 10 by February 2017

Great. They can spy on themselves then :-)

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users