Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No keyboard response in Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yzoldowl

yzoldowl

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:27 AM

The old computer's hard drive at our local Humane Society failed, so we opted for a rebuilt from our local computer shop in order to save money; we simply can't afford to buy all new software for a new computer.  The replacement is a Dell, running Windows Vista, and it has only USB ports. 

It would not respond to the USB keyboard that came with it; we had to haul it on back to the shop.  There, we tried a different keyboard and it worked.  That was about 45 days ago.

Yesterday, we moved some stuff around, and again all of a sudden the computer is not recognizing the keyboard.  All the USB ports are active; we determined this by plugging the mouse into each one.  The mouse lights up and responds.  I went to "Control Panel > hardware > USB wired keyboard and Windows Vista did not detect any problems.  We don't get any kind of error code; we simply can't type anything in.  (I am typing this request from my computer at home.) 

I know this issue has probably been addressed here before -- but I simply don't have time to browse through thousands of posts by the keyword "keyboard."  So how do we fix this?  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:15 PM

Download USBdeview. Remove the keyboard. Remove any vendor specific device that was previously attached including printers you do not recognize and USB flash drives. If this was a clean install of Vista you may not have many vendor specific devices. Do not remove any network or mouse driver but do remove any keyboards listed. Highlight the device and press the red X. You will need to do this using only your mouse. You should still be able to use the onscreen keyboard if needed. Reboot with the keyboard attached.

Using Vista onscreen keyboard

#3 yzoldowl

yzoldowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:31 AM

That didn't work.  What else can I try?  We're not getting past the logo screen on this computer.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

When you say logo screen do you mean the manufacturer's logo? I would return the computer to place of purchase if the computer cannot go past the OEM logo.

Or by logo do you mean the login screen showing the user and password? At the left of the login screen is a clock icon. Click on it and select the onscreen keyboard. Use it to key in the password.

ease_of_access_small.jpg

#5 yzoldowl

yzoldowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

The manufacturer's logo, which in this case is Dell.  It's an older, refurbished computer running Windows Vista. 

But the problem is resolved; I found a couple of hints on another forum which said, 1) power cord must be plugged in to a wall outlet, not a power strip; and 2) unplug the keyboard and boot up without it being connected.  Got a "keyboard missing" error code, and plugged the keyboard back in.  From there, it booted just fine! 

Now I have left instructions for the other users:  keep the computer plugged in to a wall outlet.  If it must be moved, it must be powered off.  And try the above if it won't boot up again.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the update and solution. I will have to remember that tip.

#7 yzoldowl

yzoldowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

You're welcome!   I just happened to run across the idea on a Dell forum and it worked!  <G>  Another one to try if that doesn't work is to take the CMOS battery out and boot up without it -- this is of course at your own risk!   That said, the battery trick is an old one and I have used it in the past -- but then of course had to reset the date and time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users