Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes when trying to install windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reido200

reido200

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

Hey Guys

I decided to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 by doing a clean install.  I used the windows 10 media creation tool to put the installation files on a usb.  When I boot to the usb everything works fine right up to the point where the installation is about to start. 

At this point an error screen comes up saying "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and the computer restarts.  I have already formatted my c:drive so I cant revert back to using windows 7.

I dont know if this is also relevant but on my initial attempt to install windows 10, at the screen where you select which drive you want to install to I was getting an error message saying "the selected disk has an MBR partition table." and was unable to choose this drive.  I resolved this by opening a command prompt and converting it to GBT.  This is allows me to select my primary drive but the install still crashes.

Not sure what step to take next, any advice would be much appreciated!

Regards

Aidan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

That DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error is obviously caused by a driver problem, but I don't know what you can do about it.  Did you check to see if your manufacturer supports Windows 10?  Did you make a full system backup before formatting that hard drive?  You should always do that.  It sounds like you might need to get your Windows 7 install discs and reinstall Win 7 with the drivers from your system's manufacturer.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

Can you please post the exact model of the computer ?

If it is custom build please post the motherboard model and any additional hardware installed as VGA, Sound card and etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users