Media Center PC M7000 Windows XP..original version that came with it..
Initial problem was blue screen of death..but has stripes also.... and when in the safe mode it becomes the purple screen of death with stripes...
1. Tried more than one hard drive so do not think its the hard drive...
2. I can go to safe mode and all seems to be ok there.
3. Its most important that I get the data off this drive and i purchased a Win 10 puter today and hooked the bad drive to its usb port and from what I can see the data is still in tact... but when trying to view many of the files in say "Documents and Settings" area and others the new win 10 looking at it via the usb port.. says data damaged.. but the directroy does look fine on the win 10 via the usb port..
So I am hoping the reading of some files (not all) is caused by the new win 10 being a 64 byte and the xp is a 32 byte..
4. But I am surprised it does not read it clearly.... as the very same files that win10 is compaining about are text files and they look just fine when viewed with the old XP drive in the safe mode and I navigate to them and look...
5. Is it ok for me to open up the new(actually used) win 10 and hook the old xp in as a slave to copy the data or will it continue to complain that the data is bad..in a lot of files. That is not normal is it? Shoulldnt the win10 read the 32 bit files just fine..
6. if anyone has any ideas I can get into the safe mode... if needed.. also i have run avast on it and no virus was pickied up..
oh.. I did take a second xp drive that has the same exact operating system with a factory restore section and did a factory restore while saving the data and that did not help.. I may run the factory restore in the full destruct mode if you folks think that would help..
Is there a simple way to transfer all the 32 byte data into 64 so its happier in the win10 environment..
Thanks for any help..
Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2016 - 08:11 AM.
Moved from XP to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.