Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death but this one has vertical stripes..

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tommytx

tommytx

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:14 AM

Media Center PC M7000 Windows XP..original version that came with it..

Initial problem was blue screen of death..but has stripes also.... and when in the safe mode it becomes the purple screen of death with stripes...

1. Tried more than one hard drive so do not think its the hard drive...

2. I can go to safe mode and all seems to be ok there.

3. Its most important that I get the data off this drive and i purchased a Win 10 puter today and hooked the bad drive to its usb port and from what I can see the data is still in tact... but when trying to view many of the files in say "Documents and Settings" area and others the new win 10 looking at it via the usb port.. says data damaged.. but the directroy does look fine on the win 10 via the usb port..
So I am hoping the reading of some files (not all) is caused by the new win 10 being a 64 byte and the xp is a 32 byte..

4. But I am surprised it does not read it clearly.... as the very same files that win10 is compaining about are text files and they look just fine when viewed with the old XP drive in the safe mode and I navigate to them and look...

5. Is it ok for me to open up the new(actually used) win 10 and hook the old xp in as a slave to copy the data or will it continue to complain that the data is bad..in a lot of files.  That is not normal is it?  Shoulldnt the win10 read the 32 bit files just fine..

6. if anyone has any ideas I can get into  the safe mode... if needed.. also i have run avast on it and no virus was pickied up..

oh.. I did take a second xp drive that has the same exact operating system with a factory restore section and did a factory restore while saving the data and that did not help.. I may run the factory restore in the full destruct mode if you folks think that would help..

Is there a simple way to transfer all the 32 byte data into 64 so its happier in the win10 environment..

Thanks for any help..

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2016 - 08:11 AM.
Moved from XP to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

Are these your personal files?  If so, it shouldn't matter whether the files are on a 32-bit or 64-bit system, they should open just the same once you use the correct program to do so.  And yes, there is no harm in copying your files across to you Windows 10 machine once you are copying and not moving.  Once you copy the files across you can check and see whether Windows 10 still complains about the files being "bad".

#3 tommytx

tommytx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

The 64 bit seems to be reading the 32 bit files ok today.. but I have another idea since I can get access to all my files via the old XP and the safe mode... it i inserted an external memory like a thumb nail usb memory or even a second drive.. do Ihave to force some drivers to load for it to see those extra items since safe mode loads only the min assets.... reason i ask is that when I put the thumbnail usb in I could not see it when I looked at my computer.. only showed the single drive that Ihave installed..  so if I could figure out how to bring up the second drive or the thumbnail.. I could copy the files that way..

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

... it i inserted an external memory like a thumb nail usb memory or even a second drive.. do Ihave to force some drivers to load for it to see those extra items since safe mode loads only the min assets....

Sorry, I don't know of any way to "force some drivers to load" in Safe Mode.  Maybe someone else who knows can chip in.

#5 tommytx

tommytx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

So bottom line.. does anyone know if its possible to boot into safe mode and grab some files... seems like since safe mode holds back everything but the essential that maybe there is some way to tell the system to go bare min.. but load the thumb nail driver.. or say maybe the 2nd drive...

But I  cannot get it to boot anyway but Safe... well I can go to dos prompt.. but i doubt any save mode has been loaded there either..

Maybe even a boot cd that can give me access to get the files.. as I am not having any luck trying to get the files via the usb port that I have hooked the xp drive to... it does let me see the entire directroy but will not let me view or copy most files but yes.. fine for some.. makes me wonder if my drive is formatted a little off and so is not always being read by a drive that was not involved in the formatting process...

Edited by tommytx, 18 February 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

Maybe even a boot cd that can give me access to get the files..

Yes, you can create a Linux Live CD and boot from it and then copy your files.  Something like Puppy Linux should do.

#7 tommytx

tommytx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:00 PM

Hey that looks very interesting.. I will jump right on it and let you know how it goes... thanks for that..

#8 tommytx

tommytx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for that Agouti.. but no help... i downloaded and made the boot disk.. and it would not go any further than the help menu.. and they did give me two commands to start it with and  I tried both and each loaded a couple of special files and died...

Also I did get some further information... if anyone can tell me where to go to read the error code.

0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This same exact code appeared when the bad xp hard drive was installed and the same when a brand new hard drive was installed and an attempt made to load the xp operating system on it... so is definitely a hard chasis problem..

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

.. and it would not go any further than the help menu.. and they did give me two commands to start it with and  I tried both and each loaded a couple of special files and died...

I don't understand what you mean when you say "help menu" and "two commands".  Could you give me a better description?

#10 tommytx

tommytx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

I will try loading again and get more specific detail.. but basically once it booted.. it came up with the menu which is the help menu to show what commands are availiable.. and reading the process to copy files from the ailing drive..two of the things you can do is try with two commands for example like "puppy aspi-irq  but that is a guess I will run it agin and give specific details.. looks like my hard ware is more than it can handle and does not let it fully load.. remeember i have some apparent hard ware problem as its a blue screeen of death and a second believed to be good hard drive gave same results..

re-running now.. will get back in a little.. thanks for the help as I am a lost puppy... with or without the puppy linus.. HaHa.

#11 tommytx

tommytx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

Here is a lttile more detail of the second attempt with puppy.

create boot disk and copy files..
http://puppylinux.com/

f2 basic help
f3 advanced help
used https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html
to guide me thru saving files.. and if it does not come to a point that you can command the files to be saved..
try boot with puppy acpi=noirq or puppy acpi=strick.. all of these just took me to a blank screen.
with top half white and bottom half green.

The two acpi= commands were things they suggested in the instructions when things did not go right.

goes to
loading vmlinuz
then
loading initrd, gz....ready
then after 2 3 min sitting diverts to the white and green screen i described above..

Edited by tommytx, 19 February 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

Forget that guide.  I find it's too confusing.  Follow this guide instead.  Assuming you burned the CD correctly, you can start at Phase 2 - Change the boot order of the computer to boot from a USB drive ....

#13 tommytx

tommytx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:46 PM

OK.. thanks I will build a bootable uSB and see if it will recognize that.. as It  would not recognize my use drive at all in the safe mode.. however it did recognize my dvd drive and  I was able to build a dvd boot disk and that worked.. so I am hoping that when I have a bootable usb installed it will recognize that and let me choose its as first boot like i did with the dvd boot..  will let you know.. thanks

#14 tommytx

tommytx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

Wow! I am gonna be a mad scientist by  the time you get done with me... I am deep into it... now...jumping all over.. but I think I am learning a lot...

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

OK.. thanks I will build a bootable uSB and see if it will recognize that..

Since you have a bootable disk you don't have to make a bootable USB.

. but I think I am learning a lot...

That's a good thing, I think... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users