Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get an External Drive to good use using Ubuntu Mate

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

Hi guys, I've been trying for several times to use my brother's external drive (a Hitachi one), was working fine and great, but all of a sudden all I could do was just read his files, couldn't cut, paste or copy nothing both ways no more.

I'm using Ubuntu Mate and I have the feeling that I erased some important file from the external drive.

Or is could be just a damaged sectors' case that Ubuntu prevents me from using it ? (cause with a couple of others and with mine everything works fine).

Perhaps it's just a matter of taking full control of it ? ... guess I'm still a newbie when it comes to linux.

Any help would be welcome, as usual, thanks in advance !!!.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:45 AM

. . . trying . . . to use . . . external drive . . . was working fine . . . a sudden . . . just read . . . cut, paste or copy . . .

The first thing I would check is the way the drive is mounted.  If it is read only, the you will not be able to cut, paste, or write to the drive.  You should, however, be able to copy a file and paste it on our own desktop.

There are several ways to see how the drive is mounted.  Do you have the "Disks" utility installed?  In the GUI menu, it should be under accessories.  "Disks" will list all the disks connected to your system, including USB devices.  It will tell you if they are read only, and where they are mounted.

In the terminal, you can also use the "mount" command, with no switches, to give you a text readout of the same information.

If the drive is read only, you will have to mount it in read/write mode.  Let us know what you find out.

Cheers!

Naught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users