Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found Windows 10 in Windows Update Cleanup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

Since February 10th, and despite running cleaners and Tweaking, I've been unable to download and/or install any available update or even view the "real" Update home page.  My update page (snip attached) shows "upgrade to Windows 10" with a hyperlink to "show all available updates".  At the available updates page, whether I checkmark one, or three, or all 15 updates, there's a permanent notation stating I've already selected "1 optional update" (snip attached).

BTW, the setting has always been "check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them", and many months ago I uninstalled and hid KB3035583 and KB2952664.

I found a hidden file in C drive named $WINDOWS.~BT, but it only had 73.4 MB (deleted it).  I ran Disk Cleanup, and then clicked on "View system files", and there it is...7.11 GB in "Windows Update Cleanup". Snip attached.

Does anyone know if I tell it to delete those system files if it really actually delete what's in this Update Cleanup?  And where is this Update Cleanup file?  I don't see it anywhere.

Attached Files

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:22 PM

The windows update cleanup log is called Deepclean.log located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\DeepClean.log Any packages it finds for removal will show as such in the log:

2016-02-17 01:26:17, Info                  CBS    Adding: Package_for_KB2928562~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0

2016-02-17 01:26:59, Info                  CBS    DC: Package_for_KB2928562~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0: unique components: 4 Size: 3.27 MB (3,431,120 bytes)

HTH :)

Edit to add: This log is generated and can be viewed before you actually hit the "delete" button.

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 February 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

Thanks, I see it - a Notepad doc of 4353 KB.  As you say, it was generated by my asking to "view system files" because of the date, and it was not there several days ago.   

Since my Windows Update system is dysfunctional, I'm hesitant to click OK when it asks me "are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?"  May I ask an opinion?  Because of the 7.11 GB size of this file, it must where Windows 10 is, right?  Do you think the system will allow Windows 10 to be deleted in this manner?

And can I go to the Microsoft Update Catalog and individually download the Security Updates that were distributed February 9th?

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Open the file in notepad and do a search for the term "adding" within the file, it will tell you the KB's of the "packages" it's queuing for removal. Or attach the file here. If it's too big to attach here upload it to a file sharing site like OneDrive, GoogleDrive, DropBox, MediaFire etc and I'll take a look at it.

EDIT: To be honest I've never seen Windows Update Cleanup removing the Windows 10 Upgrade files before, usually a file/files that large are the Windows.old files left behind after an Upgrade or Repair Install IME.

Yes you can d/l the individual updates thru MS Update Catalog (IE only - ActiveX d/l required) and/or Windows Update Catalog.

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 February 2016 - 10:21 PM.

#5 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

This is the link to the doc at OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1Qn56x7.

Tomorrow is fine.  Thank you for your help.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

Sure thing, I'm about to call it a night anyway :) A few questions/quick observations

1) The file is HUUUUGE with many many packages queued for removal. Have you never run Windows Update Cleanup before? I suspect as much.

2) Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and Rt Click the "Download" folder > Properties and report/ attach a screenshot of it's size/ how many files, folders etc like the shot below (open spoiler)

Spoiler

3) Go to Windows Update select Change Settings & Uncheck (if checked) "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates"  then check for updates again... see if you can get rid of (uncheck the optional) Win 10 upgrade. See this article:

Look out: Microsoft shifts Windows 10 to ‘Recommended’ update, automatic download

4) Read & follow the instrux in MS' KB How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options

Have a good night & good luck. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 February 2016 - 11:19 PM.

#7 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Attached are snip and snip screenshot of Software Distribution folder.      See edit.

Should I run Check Disk and then permanently delete what's in the "system files" also?  As you say, run Windows Update Cleanup. 

Somewhere Windows has already checked the Windows 10 download for installation because nothing I've done gets rid of that notation that "1 optional update" is ready to be installed. IF changing the setting to "give me recommended updates" starts a Windows 10 installation, can I stop it?  (This laptop is older and I don't believe W10 will ever work on it - much less if it's installed over a currently dysfunctional W7.)  BTW, as of several months ago, System Restore does not work either - that's the source of my hesitation.

Edited to post correct snip of Software Distribution folder.

Edited: the MS article is beyond my understanding; I should not touch the registry.

Attached Files

Edited by jackiemarie, 18 February 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

Post #1
You need to set windows update to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", this way you can make sure only the updates you actively say ok to can get onto your computer. In future only accept security updates (those named "Security Update for..." where ... is the name of a piece of software), or better than that, make sure to check the "more information" link for each update, then don't install any which act to "enable upgrades" "create new upgrade scenarios"...

Make sure however to do that update checking every tuesday evening or wednesday morning, you want to make sure to get the security updates as quickly as possible. You could set a phone alarm or scheduled task to remin you to do this. An good message for this alrm might be something such as:
"time for updates! go to control panel-->windows update-->check for updates, then when it has checked click on "X important updates", untick everything, then retick all those named "Security Update for...". Then with those and only those "Security Update for..." updates selected click the button to install, let them download, disconnect from the internet once the download finishes, then restart as soon as it asks you to. After restarting go back to windows update and hide (right click and choose "hide") any updates which are unwanted."

Furthermore there are some other updates you need to remove, specifically you must remove all the recent updates to the windows update client, these have been used to alter the windows update client so it is capable of offering windows 10 as an update, without these updates to the windows update client it should not be possible for windows 10 to be offered to you. Removal of the updates can be done by a comman prompt method, or through the GUI by going into "installed updates" in the windows update menu and selecting the unwanted ones then uninstalling them.

Another thing worth doing is looking at your C:\ drive, make sure hidden files and folders are set to be shown, do yu see a folder called $WINDOWS.~bt if so this is likely where the many GB of windows 10 update files are kept, you could delete the folder from the file browser, but would need to do a lot of bothersome things involving "taking ownership" and "giving yourself permissions" first, things which if done by accident to other folders could be harmful. much easier to dispose of the windows 10 related files using disk cleanup, it should have otpions specifically to do this.

After all the other steps search your C:\ drive for a file called gwx.exe, tell us if any are found, if you find them then you ought to delete them, but this must be done in a special way, don't try it yourself until further advice on how has been given, just say of you find them, then we'll advise on how to delete them if needed.

The following list might be helpful to you, it's a thread I run advising on which windows updates to download and which to avoid
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/

P.S. after removing all the windows 10 related updates, there are lists on some places including in a few threads on this site, and setting updates to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" I suggest starting another thread to ask for help with any remaining problems with windows update, such as if it's being buggy and failing when you try to check for updates.

Edited by rp88, 18 February 2016 - 02:10 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

Please see attached snip of Windows  Update Cleanup folder after deleting at "view system files".

Reduced file from 7.11 GB to 5.34 MB but didn't change Windows Update at all.

Attached Files

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Show us a screenshot of C:\ making sure to make hiden files and folders show.

Also, did you follow my other suggestions?EDIT: sorry about this last line, I realise you only posted a minute after me.

Edited by rp88, 18 February 2016 - 02:22 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

We posted at the same time really.

I've read the articles Union_Thug suggested.  My current aim is to get Windows Update working again and get that ridiculous "1 optional update already selected" removed.  I feel sure that the Windows 10 promo on what should be my WU home page is some sort of "masking" and that's why the "1 optional update" thing won't go away.  Maybe it's the gwx that you speak of.  Snip attached from search for gwx.exe.

After WU is working, then I will continue to study and keep W10 from downloading.

I've always had the setting of "check for updates but let me choose whether to d/l and install them"; it has never changed.

Back in July, I uninstalled KB3035583 from Updates and then hid it.  As of today, WU says 3035583 is still not installed.  Since July, there have been no task bar notifications about W10; I just can't get the WU to get back to the proper home page.  When I ran Tweaking last week, it destroyed all the history also.  I've uninstalled KB 3112343, 2952664, 3021917, 2990214, 3022345 so far.  I do not have KB3134814,3141092 installed.

Thank you for your assistance.

Attached Files

Edited by jackiemarie, 18 February 2016 - 04:55 PM.

#12 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

rp88, on 18 Feb 2016 - 2:09 PM, said:

Post #1
You need to set windows update to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", this way you can make sure only the updates you actively say ok to can get onto your computer. In future only accept security updates (those named "Security Update for..." where ... is the name of a piece of software)

Another thing worth doing is looking at your C:\ drive, make sure hidden files and folders are set to be shown, do yu see a folder called $WINDOWS.~bt if so this is likely where the many GB of windows 10 update files are kept, you could delete the folder from the file browser, but....

P.S. after removing all the windows 10 related updates, there are lists on some places including in a few threads on this site, and setting updates to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" I suggest starting another thread to ask for help with any remaining problems with windows update, such as if it's being buggy and failing when you try to check for updates.

1.  I've always had the setting of "check for updates but let me choose whether to d/l and install them"; it has never changed.  There are 14 Security updates sitting in WU - checkmarking them for download and install is not working.  When I click OK to d/l and install, the screen flips back to the previous WU page with the Windows 10 promo - snip attached of my current WU home page.

2.  I am reposting the snip of C drive with hidden folders enabled as rp88 requested; there's no W10 folder. 

3.  I am reposting snip showing gwx.exe on this laptop.  rp88 said not to delete them; I should wait for specific instructions to delete them properly.

4.  If I'm supposed to start another thread, which forum?

5.  If possible I'd really appreciate help as I'll have surgery Monday morning.  Thank you.

Attached Files

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:00 AM

Hi jackiemarie, sorry for the delay in replying but unfortunately real life gets in the way. Sorry to hear of your impending surgery, I hope it's nothing too "serious" and wish you a speedy recovery. I had to go back and skim thru the topic to re-familiarize myself & see where you're at.

2 quick observations:

1) I think rp88 is on the right track here with his/her instrux & is admittedly superior to myself in terms of technical/diagnostical abilities. I fear if I were to step in now and offer more advice and/or instruction it may do more harm than good;  At this point; stick with rp88, I assure you're in good hands there.

2) There are several red flags I hadn't really noticed before:

>>>Since February 10th, and despite running cleaners and Tweaking,<<<

>>>I don't believe W10 will ever work on it - much less if it's installed over a currently dysfunctional W7.)  BTW, as of several months ago, System Restore does not work either - that's the source of my hesitation<<<

And lastly these, outlined in red:

danger_zpsjft24edi.jpg

EDIT: I see you have a thread  open in AII.  Creating duplicate threads and taking a shotgun approach is asking for trouble IMO. I'm bowing out of this one, sorry. Good luck

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 February 2016 - 01:07 AM.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:27 AM

@ Jackiemarie

Since you now have this thread running in 'Am I infected ?' I have closed this topic to avoid confusion.

Once you are finished in the AII section and if you still have problems with Win 7 & and Win 10 you will be more than welcome to start a new topic then. If, or when, you do it would be helpful to link a new topic to this one and your topic in AII. You can do this simply by copying and pasting the the URL at the top of each, as this -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605733/found-windows-10-in-windows-update-cleanup/

Any problems with this, send me a PM.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 February 2016 - 06:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users