Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offloading from an HP Envy's removed drive to a desktop

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 toasterbot

toasterbot

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

So, I botched the environmental variable PATH and my HP Envy dv6 no-longer boots Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. After no luck with booting from a flash drive, I plan on offloading the entirety of the drive onto an external HDD, via a pretty old Dell Dimension 5150 (Windows 7 32bit). At this point, I've removed the laptop's HDD (ST750LM022) to find it uses a Wistron CLS 17 Main HDD cable. It also has an unconnected 4 pin port labled A120621.

I intend to offload the entire drive, wipe it, reinstall Window 8.1, then transfer my files back onto it.

Is this plan viable? Is there a better approach? What do I need to do from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

The four pin connector is for factory use only. Here is your drive on newegg.

You can remove the cable connected to the drive and connect internally to the old Dell or put the drive back into the laptop and use a live linux disk to copy your files to an external drive. If you want to use the linux method post back and I will give instructions.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

The hard drive itself is nothing other than a typical 750MB 5400-rpm SATA laptop drive, see http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/includes/spec-sheet-100702469c1.pdf .

You seem to be making a number of assumptions...without verifying anything.  Did you ever run Dell Diagnostics on the system?  Did you run a hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive?  What if the hard drive is NOT the problem?

Louis

#4 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

@JohnC_21:

The Linux approach seems easier, as I don't really want to open the computer I'm using right now, and I've played with Linux (Ubuntu) before. I completely forgot about using a live Linux disk.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

If you have Ubuntu on a disk that will work also. I was going to suggest Fatdog64 which is a smaller download.

Have you tried doing a System Restore?  You can get to the Recovery Options on a Windows 8 computer by turning on the computer and waiting until you see the spinning circle then press the power button to turn off. Do this 3 or 4 times and Windows will enter troubleshooting mode. The either do a System Restore or a Startup Repair. If either of those do not work then do Refresh, not Reset or all your programs and data will be gone. Refresh will keep your data.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

You can do a diagnostic on a HP by tapping Esc at boot.

#6 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

I don't have any DVD's on me, so I'll pick some up in a bit. 

@hamluis: I ran the Windows memory diagnostic (default, 1 pass) [clean], and the Dell quick diagnostic [clean]. I *don't* think the HDD itself is bad, I think I made a mistake, adding an error to part of system32 causing the computer to not boot. My plan assumes everything on the drive (except the PATH variable) is fine.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

You can do this with a USB flash drive.

Edit: You can use Rufus with the Ubuntu iso file. Do you have an Ubuntu iso file or do you want to download Fatdog64. Copying files is a little different with Fatdog and I will post instructions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 February 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#8 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

When I tried to boot Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS 64bit from a flashdrive, my computer only showed directories and .EFI files, so I couldn't select the .ISO.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

It's possible the Hdd is still in hybrid shutdown or the files may be encrypted if you login with a Windows live account. 

Try Fatdog64. Here is the iso file. Fatdog64-702.iso

Attach your flash drive to the Dell and run Rufus. Your flash drive should be listed in Rufus. Select MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked including Quick Format. Where FreeDos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image and then click the folder icon. Browse to the Fatdog iso file you downloaded. Press Start.

Attach the flash drive and tap Esc at boot to select the boot device or make sure USB is listed as first boot device in your UEFI settings. 

Boot to the Fatdog desktop. Your hard drive partitions will be labeled sda1..sda2.. depending on the number of partitions on the hard drive. Windows 8 will have at least 3 partitions. Your Windows partition is most likely sda3. Click once on the sda3 icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager will open. If you do not see your Windows files close the Window and select another sdaX icon. Do you see your files? 

#10 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

I still can't seem to boot from a USB, despite using rufus and Fatdog. 

[Power on] Windows Boot manager [Esc] Boot Manager [Boot from EFI File] [FATDOG], the only entry is the directory "<help>"

Looking at the flash drive, there's an ISO called "efiboot", but my computer seems adamant that it needs a .efi.

I also tried booting from a DVD of Fatdog after it failed the auto-repair, but "The selected boot device failed Press <Enter> to Continue." If I try to boot from the flash drive after auto-repair, I get the same message.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

In UEFI settings make sure SecureBoot is disabled. If there is a Quickboot/Fastboot setting then disable that also. If Fatdog still does not boot from the flash drive then change your UEFI settings to Legacy or CSM boot. 

I believe tapping Esc on an HP will let you select the device using Legacy Boot but I am not sure of your model. 

#12 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Secure boot disabled, no quick/fast boot option, and I just turned on Legacy Support.

Now the Boot Manager has more options:

OS Boot Manager

Boot From EFI File

Notebook Hard Drive (new option)

USB Hard Drive - Sony  Storage Media (new option, my flash drive with Fatdog)

I've successfully booted to Fatdog! SDA4 (666GB) is where all my stuff is.

New issue! Despite checking the permissions on Windows (everyone can do everything) on my new external HD (WD My Passport Ultra 1TB), apparently it`s a "read-only file system" drive when I`m on Linux.

Edited by toasterbot, 18 February 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

The WD external shows read only on Fatdog, correct? 

First unmount the drive. Right click the External icon and select Unmount. Remove the drive. Attach it again and when the drive icon appears click on it. Is it still read only? If it is then do the following.

Right click the External icon > Properties. Does it give an option to change from read only?

Click on the Fatdog menu. Look for Fatdog Control Panel. Open it and under the Utility tab should be an icon labeled Gparted. Run Gparted. In the upper right is a dropdown box to select your disk. Select your WD drive. Does Gparted show an exclamation mark on the disk? If it does double click the mark. It should say what the issue is with the partition.

#14 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

"The WD external shows read only on Fatdog?" Correct.

I changed the permissions in the Properties window for the drive, but when I try to transfer data, it still claims to be read-only.

Gparted shows a padlock next to my WD drive. It's formatted as NTFS. Looking at the laptop's main partition, it also has a lock, and is NTFS.

Edited by toasterbot, 18 February 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

What information does Gparted give when you click on the padlock?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users