Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Type Icons vs Application Icons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

I use several different word processors, two of which are Atlantis and Jarte. Both create (mostly) .rtf files. My favorite kind.

On my XP computer, Atlantis and Jarte (and every other word processor I've ever used) show their own icons in Explorer. If I use Atlantis to create an .rtf file, that file shows Atlantis' icon, and every file I create in Jarte shows Jarte's icon.

On my Win7 machine, that is not happening. I get an icon that Windows believes is the default .rtf file and that's all. Is there some way I can change that behavior to the XP way of displaying icons?

Yes, I did change the default .rtf application hoping that would fix the "problem", but it did not. It only changed the default icons to the app I chose as the default. I would very much like to know, at a glance,  which wordprocessor created a specific file.

If you can help, I thank you very much. If not, thanks anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunately, that will not happen within Windows 7.  One work-around is to have, under a master rtf folder, an rtf folder for X program and an rtf folder for program Y, with programs X & Y preset to save everything in their assigned directories.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

Unfortunately, that will not happen within Windows 7.  One work-around is to have, under a master rtf folder, an rtf folder for X program and an rtf folder for program Y, with programs X & Y preset to save everything in their assigned directories.

Thank you.

That would work. I always keep Atlantis' files in its own folder. Wouldn't mind to do that with Jarte. Where can I go to learn how to create a master rtf folder?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:09 AM

You've already solved the problem, since you have kept Atlantis files under Atlantis folder, you're going to keep Jarte files under Jarte folder.  What I meant by a master folder:  I have a main directory on my data partition named Files.  Under Files, I have sub-directories such as Apologetics, Pets, Games, and various document sub-directories.  Another main directory I named Media, inside Media - sub-directories such as music, pictures, etc.  I do all of these things because my backup routines requires some directories to be One-Way sync'd, other directories to be Two-Way sync'd.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:14 AM

Thank you. My system is set up in a similar manner to yours. I guess all I need to do is add a folder for Jarte files.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

kalmly, first of all, I cannot say why when you were in XP your RTF files were able to display an icon based on which program it was created with.  Maybe that was the way XP works.  However, what you are seeing in Windows 7 is the correct behavior, i.e. the icon of the default program is displayed on all RTF files.  AFAIK, there is no way to change that.  Also, contrary to what was advised, creating a "master RTF" folder with separate subfolders is not going to change that.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

"...Also, contrary to what was advised, creating a "master RTF" folder with separate subfolders is not going to change that..."  What contrary?  We were discussing the solution of having separate folders, one for Atlantis, one for Jarte, thread starter had already abandoned the idea of attempting icon-changing.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 February 2016 - 01:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users