Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xmerlinnx

xmerlinnx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

I have a dell xps 17 laptop.
One day it just shut down and would not boot.
I tried some things and got it to get to the windows loading screen but no further,
I have tried a bootable windows disc, nothing,
I tried a bootable windows usb, nothing,
all I get is a black screen not line on top corner,
usb doesn't even light up.
I get no tones when booting to indicate motherboard (if that even still applies)
I can get to the bios screen no problem and make changes, nothing helps.
I have never overclocked it. or anything like that,
I'm thinking hard drive is cooked but any trouble shooting ideas would really help

not sure where to put this didn't really see a proper room

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

From what you say it does seem likely that you have hard drive problems, but not certainly.

However, as a first step you need to do what you can to recover any data you have on the hard drive that isn't already backed up. There are at least two reliable ways of doing this. One is to remove the the HDD and slave it to another computer using a USB caddy or something similar. If the drive runs at all you will be able to move the data either to this other computer or to external strorage.

The other way is to use a lightweight self-booting Linux distro like Puppy which runs entirely in RAM and doesn't use your hard drive at all to see first if the computer will run and then to move your data, if it is accessible, to external storage. You can get Puppy - a free download - from here, along with instructions on how to use it :

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Assuming you have access to another computer all Puppy will cost you is a little time and a blank CD and is the way I would go in this situation since it will test the CD drive, the mobo, the RAM and the display - not as in 'testing' but if it gets to the Puppy desktop you will know these areas are working.

A couple of points from your post that need clarifying :  you say "you tried a bootable Windows disc, nothing" as an example. Does this mean the drive didn't spin, the disc itself didn't work or the computer just didn't boot ?

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 February 2016 - 05:19 PM.
This is to test the 'edit' function

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users