Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot remove defunct logon account at start up screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bimfiu

bimfiu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

A few years back I changed the name of my Dell D830 laptop from "pob laptop" to "D830-laptop". Everything was hunky dory (old expression :) ) until I decided to create a new user account and gave it admin privileges. I then changed the privileges on the D830-laptop account to standard user.

Now, when I boot up the laptop the welcome screen shows "pob laptop" and wrong password error. I then have to switch users every time just to get into the laptop. I have searched everywhere for this name "pob laptop" but can't find it at all. I've searched the registry user profilelist and nothing comes up with that name. I'm pretty sure that when I changed the name I went through all pertinent files, but evidently I must have missed an important file to have it resurface years later.  I'm really stumped. Any suggestions on how to remove this erroneous user account? I still want to be able to choose between standard user and admin user from time to time, so I don't want to remove the logon screen per se.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

Worth A Look .

Louis

#3 bimfiu

bimfiu
  • Topic Starter