Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power outtage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DrFaroohk

DrFaroohk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

Hello all!  First time posting here.   

So last night there's a big wind and rain storm.  Power goes out for most of the night.  I wake up and the power is back on, but my computer is not booting properly.  Finally I resign myself to just go with the reset option.  

It booted up fine after that.  I lost most of my programs, like games through steam, and I still have most of my personal documents like pictures, so that's a good thing.  For some reason though, the computer is acting like my hard drive is full.   Not totally full, but I know darn well that especially with my games all deleted it shouldn't even be halfway full.   

So what gives?  is there a fix for this?  Hard drive dead?  Thanks all!

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support to the more appropriate forum, at the suggestion of staff. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

There'd have to be more investigation into the files to see what happened.   I'd try a cold start, (pull the plug), and boot to the safe mode.  If you have an install disk for the OS, a repair could find any faults and replace the bad files.  Funny things happen when you pull the power off these machines while on, the OS gets really upset.  Powering back up, unattended, usually gives you the "failed proper shutdown" screen on reboot and will then continue to a normal boot.  A checkdisk and file scan may reveal something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users