Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sophos Home: Totally free antivirus for home

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 AlexSOPHOS

AlexSOPHOS

Authorized Sophos Representative

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

Sophos Home is totally 100% free antivirus for home being offered by Sophos. And no, there are no pesky ads asking you to upgrade. And no, this isn't just a trial period. It's free AV for your home forever*.

Protect up to 10 devices for both Macs and PCs. Manage security settings for the whole family, wherever they are, from your web browser. And it includes web filtering so you can block your kids/uncle from accessing inappropriate sites, etc.

Sophos Home protects with both signature based and signature-less/behavioral-based (zero day) detection (like you see in Sophos Cloud) including on-demand malware scan, on-access malware scan, malicious URL blocking, phishing protection, web filtering, and potentially unwanted app detection. 

Feel free to ask me any questions on Sophos Home right here and I'll be sure to get back to you. Learn more about Sophos Home here.

*Or until our sun explodes, humans go extinct, etc. :radioactive:

SophosHomeDashboard-120515.png?la=en

Edited by AlexSOPHOS, 17 February 2016 - 11:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:06 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Alex.

We have heard some goods things about Sophos Home and I added it to our list in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:11 AM

Feel free to ask me any questions on Sophos Home right here and I'll be sure to get back to you.

I'll start! :D Is there a way to easily submit samples via Sophos Home? Or do we email to send them via email/forums? I never dealt with Sophos so far, so I can't really tell.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 AlexSOPHOS

AlexSOPHOS

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:21 AM

Feel free to ask me any questions on Sophos Home right here and I'll be sure to get back to you.

I'll start! :D Is there a way to easily submit samples via Sophos Home? Or do we email to send them via email/forums? I never dealt with Sophos so far, so I can't really tell.

Yes, you can easily submit samples to Sophos! I would follow the guidelines outlined here: https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/11490.aspx

#5 AlexSOPHOS

AlexSOPHOS

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Alex.

We have heard some goods things about Sophos Home and I added it to our list in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Thanks for the welcome and thank you for adding it onto the list! 

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:42 AM

May I ask, is there somewhere I can look up functionalities and privacy policy? You know, just to compare with other free offerings out there.

#7 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:50 AM

Hi Alex.

I found their Privacy Policy and EULA on their site. (With a very small font.)

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#8 AlexSOPHOS

AlexSOPHOS

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

May I ask, is there somewhere I can look up functionalities and privacy policy? You know, just to compare with other free offerings out there.

You should be able to look up the functionalities here: https://home.sophos.com/help#hs-section-0 It will be updated in the near future to show new functionality, more graphics, and more granular details. A great source to look at. The privacy policy is on our registration page or here and here.

Edited by AlexSOPHOS, 17 February 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

Can we ask you what your job/title is at Sophos? Would be nice to see if we're talking to a Marketing Rep, Developer, QA Analyst, etc. :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 AlexSOPHOS

AlexSOPHOS

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

Can we ask you what your job/title is at Sophos? Would be nice to see if we're talking to a Marketing Rep, Developer, QA Analyst, etc. :)

Of course! Sorry for not making that clear earlier. I'm in charge of marketing for the Sophos Home product. I might not always have the technical answer right off the bat, but I can definitely direct you to the right resources to get answers or talk with our product development team and relay their answers. I will obviously keep the thread updated with new features and upgrades that Sophos Home receives. And any feedback on this thread is most welcome! We want to know what we're doing right and what needs improvement, or what features you would like added.  

#11 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

Greetings Alex and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

Does Sophos play well with others?

A lot of Members here take a layered approach to securing our machines, i.e. running an AV program along with MBAM (a favorite, although certainly not the only one).

For example, I"m currently running Avast along with MBAM and they both run in Real Time and over the past couple of years, I have not had any conflicts and/or issues.

Any illumination you could provide would be greatly appreciated & again, welcome aboard.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#12 AlexSOPHOS

AlexSOPHOS

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

Greetings Alex and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

Does Sophos play well with others?

A lot of Members here take a layered approach to securing our machines, i.e. running an AV program along with MBAM (a favorite, although certainly not the only one).

For example, I"m currently running Avast along with MBAM and they both run in Real Time and over the past couple of years, I have not had any conflicts and/or issues.

Any illumination you could provide would be greatly appreciated & again, welcome aboard.

Winterland

Sophos Home does allow you to layer with HitmanPro from Surfright. It was actually designed to work flawlessly with HitmanPro as a second opinion/layer of security. However, you will run into resistance with many other products. In order to prevent your computer's processing power from being consumed too heavily by two AV products running simultaneously, Sophos Home will not install until the other AV product(s) has been removed from your computer.  

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

Sophos Home does allow you to layer with HitmanPro from Surfright. It was actually designed to work flawlessly with HitmanPro as a second opinion/layer of security.

That's good to know. Will keep that post somewhere for future references.

unite_blue.png

#14 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

Sophos Home does allow you to layer with HitmanPro from Surfright. It was actually designed to work flawlessly with HitmanPro as a second opinion/layer of security. However, you will run into resistance with many other products. In order to prevent your computer's processing power from being consumed too heavily by two AV products running simultaneously, Sophos Home will not install until the other AV product(s) has been removed from your computer.  

Great Alex, that's exactly the type of information that I was looking for. It stands to reason that Sophos would work best with HitmanPro, since y'all bought them at the end of last year.  :whistle:

None the less, it's always nice - as Aura made note of - to have another pair of apps for our machines, since it really is not a one-size-fits-all answer when looking for AV / Malware protection for a computer.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

I don't know if you can answer this since you are a marketing rep for Sophos Home, but I thought I would ask.

An area of concern with our members in regards to cloud-based anti-virus is the need to be connected to the Internet all the time in order to be protected. Panda stores a local cache copy of "Collective Intelligence" for offline operation. If you are disconnected from the net, it still works in the background, checking files against its local cache of the most common threats in circulation. Does Sophos Cloud work in a similar manner? I checked the website but could not locate any specific information about that aspect.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users