Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading windows server 2000/2003 to windows server 2008 r2?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daredavel

daredavel

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

Hello,

I have two windows servers 2000 and 2003 with ATA storage (1 disk) each and I want to upgrade both to windows server 2008 r2 with raid 5 storage. I want to migrate all my settings/data to the new server units. Can someone guide me on how to achieve it? I have new servers with 3 disks each in preparation for the raid 5 setup.

As much as possible, I don't want to shutdown my two servers when updating/migrating to a new setup as I can't afford to have a down time. I would appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:11 AM

How many users are we talking here?

What is the functional level of the forest?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 17 February 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#3 daredavel

daredavel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

The users are less than 100 and have AD/roles. Thank you.

Edited by daredavel, 17 February 2016 - 05:24 PM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

AD roles doesn't answer the question.  You need to know what the functional forest level is or you can't determine what needs to be done to upgrade.

http://www.technipages.com/active-directory-how-to-check-domain-and-forest-functional-level

I would suggest you bring in a consultant to advise and do this upgrade/migration.  Barring that you have a lot of research/reading/learning to do so you are ready to do this change.

Ideally you would add the 2008 server to the existing forest as a DC.  Then migrate the data to the new servers.  Then disjoin the old servers properly from the forest.  Then bring up the forest level to 2008

Edited by Wand3r3r, 18 February 2016 - 11:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users