Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disappearing exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LoneGryffin

LoneGryffin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:35 AM

Hi.

Ok i have a weird problem. i have a game that only works on 64bit that i play alot but every time i go to play the exe is missing. my pc is setup to dual boot 32 & 64 win7 because i have alot of old software that doesn't like the 64bit. anyway if i fix the game and exe is back i can play and if i restart from 64bit to 64bit the exe is still there but if i restart from 64bit to 32bit its gone. if i repair it in 32bit it stays there till after restart then its gone even if i boot from 32bit to 64bit after repair and the exe is nowhere to be found.

What i have done.

Ran malwarebytes

Ran super antimalware

Ran avg

Ran windows malicious software removal tool

Checked startup items with autoruns and cclean

Checked windows logs

Ran chkdsk on drives

Checked HDD's health ALL OK

Tried with network on and off still go's missing

Scanned exe for virus (its clean)

Removed antivirus 

Any help will be great thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

This doesn't sound like any malware symptom I am aware of. Are you sure the .exe extension is actually gone? There could be something else going on with reconfiguration settings(Tools > Folder Options > View) where the extension is being hidden even after the settings are saved.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rpbtf

rpbtf

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

Hello,

is your game copy protected? Did you have to activate it? If so, you should have only one installation.

Ralf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users