Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell locked with BIOS or HDD password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sparrow hawk

sparrow hawk

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:45 AM

TL;DR version first!

I have a Dell XPS 15 L502X laptop which is locked, this shows on startup:

1493ura.jpg

Dell say I need a new motherboard for around £300.  Help!  Is there any other way around this that they may not be telling me about?

More details:

I had 2 passwords on this laptop, BIOS and HDD.  Now before reinstalling Windows I wanted to remove them so it could reboot during the process without interruption.

I went into the BIOS and the options for the 2 passwords.  Only the HDD one was available, the other was greyed out.  I cleared the HDD password and rebooted, assuming that this would now enable the other password editing option.

It asked me for the password, typed it in and..., wrong! :o

I was using the same password for both, they had been there for years, there is no way I forgot it.  Tried again, tried a couple of other possibilities, nothing.  Now it's locked.

I called Dell and after verifying ownership they gave me a couple of passwords to try which didn't work.  They then said the motherboard and hard drive both need replacing at insane prices.

Apparently the code I get is from the HDD, not the BIOS, which is why the drive needs replacing.  This doesn't make sense to me as I had already successfully cleared the HDD password.

Anyway... is this laptop now fit for the bin, or is there some other option that might work?  Is there a jumper I can poke to reset passwords or is it too late for that (assuming this even has one)?

And can anyone explain what exactly happened here?  Is there a third password I've forgotten about?  Did I make some mistake?

Thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

BleepingComputer.com > Forum Rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,587 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

See this Dell thread

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

The rule concerning defeat of copyright/security provisions...is applied on a case-by-case basis.  Since these password problems with systems now occur frequently, we try to be specific in reviewing the circumstances of a reported topic.

IMO...any mechanism existing for a syste to readily change/bypass a password...and which is documented and accessible to any user via the BIOS/CMOS settings...can be considered a matter of public record, same as any information reflected in manuals issued for said system.  There is no circumvention of security measures when such are discussed.

I have a Dell system which I purchased a couple of years ago...recently I took a look at the BIOS.

There are some password options which can be changed/circumvented via BIOS settings...and there are some that cannot.  It's not as simple as some members make it sound.

If you have tried changing passwords via the BIOS...and find no joy...I'd have to say that the Dell reps know their business.

On a non-OEM system, I might even try a BIOS update as a means of reset...but on on OEM system with a BIOS furnished by the OEM...I would not expect such to be able to provide any reset of password options/data.

Louis

#5 sparrow hawk

sparrow hawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:47 AM

Ok thanks all.

Sorry I did read the rules for this (sub)forum but didn't see that.

I guess I'll try a local repair shop, see if they can fit a new chip, then I'll look into new motherboards.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,587 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

If you do an online search Dell XPS 15 L502X  BIOS hint password  there are a number of locations that will give you the password for a fee but if Dell gave you two and they did not work then I doubt paying an online source would also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users