Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full Tower

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:04 PM

I haven't had a full tower in 20 years but I'm getting old and can't do much with my computers because it's so cramp. I also have a regular power supply they made 5 years ago with all the wires which is a bag of worms. So would it be better for me to get a full tower and the new power supplies where you only use the wires you need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:20 AM

A full ATX tower does offer more room to work in and plenty of places for additional components.  I also find them easier to cool due to the extra amount of space.  Full ATX cases can get expensive depending on the model you choose.  Lian-Li makes some high quality full ATX cases, as does Phanteks.

A modular power supply will cut the clutter inside the case to only the power cables you need.  Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, and EVGA all make quality units.

3939.png

#3 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

I'm a big fan of full towers.  Even a lower end full tower is often as good, or better than a "good" medium case IMHO, and they are typically wider, which makes fitting some of the modern large heatsinks easier.  As DJB said, a full tower case can get quite expensive, but there are plenty of decent ones in the same price range as mids.

Modular power supplies are great as well, saves lots of wire clutter.

#4 Mars86

Mars86

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Well for noobies, and for those that run very large aftermarket standard air heatsinks yes a full ATX tower has it's advantages. I run an overclocked micro z87 with a 4790k @ 4.6 ghz watercooled in a micro case and have plenty of room. It really depends on case choice. heatsink choice, and power supply modulation choicenot so much case specification choice, and the builders skill level. I don't like huge monstrosity cases sitting on my desk myself (or under the desk).

#5 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Um, large cases aren't strictly for "noobies".   Chosen hardware will dictate space requirements just as much as any perceived "skill level" in building.  After all, the differences in putting parts in a small case or a large case is how much time and effort one wants to put into making it neat, or finding and working with components to overcome any space contraints.

Outside that, there aren't much, if any differences.

#6 Mars86

Mars86

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

Ram4x4 you are correct they are not only for noobies, but lots of times hardware folks in a forums will direct someone who just bought a micro ATX mainboard, many times with the hope of saving space to a mid or full tower, only because the recommender thought it was "better", and it's not. It depends totally on the buyer and what they want, and the goals they have. I agree with you there are many hardware elites with years of experience that simply love the space. The thing is that mATX cases, have evolved, and so have processors that will run at 77w-84--95w etc and run cool on just the stock provided heat sink fan at stock clock in nominal operations. Take the new Skylake socket I5~I7 series, where the things will idle at 27c and max load 50c on nothing but the stock cooler all inside a micro case. So if someone has a micro motherboard and wants to save space I think it's a very good idea to recommend a micro case for the build/unit. I get your point though I didn't actually mean to imply that full towers were strictly for beginners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users