Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will any router model do?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

Hi, I want to buy a spare router so that if my current one packs up I can immediately plug in the spare without having the delay of asking AOL/Talktalk to send me a new one and waiting for it to arrive.

I asked AOL/TT about it but I don't think the young lady adviser understood what I was talking about, and likewise I couldn't understand her Asian accent.

My current router is a 'D-Link  DSL 3780 Broadband Wireless N ADSL2+' whatever that means, and it says 'TalkTalk' on the front.

My question to Bleeping members is this-  

can I simply buy any old router off the shelf at the local computer shop, or must I only buy that exact same model from AOL/TT?

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

My wife and I used TAlkTalk on a variety of routers until about three years ago and, unless they have changed their policies since then, their routers are fairly transparent. If you go into the router control panel you should be able to find all the data you need to set up another router with the same data. It should work OK for you.

We switched to Sky and I still haven't worked out how to get a non-Sky router to work !

The user name to access your router, at IP address 192.168.0.1 usually, is 'admin' and the default password is either 'admin' or 'password'. I can assume you have changed this to something more personalised ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

I don't know if you can just swap out modem/router combo's on a network in the UK. Here in the US you need to call support and give them the new MAC address so they can register it to the network. Every ISP I've used in the US does it this way. I can't say that every single ISP does it that way. But over 20 years experience it's the only way I know of it working.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

Huh?  You should be able to put any router you want inside your network.  The ISP shouldn't care one iota about its MAC address.  Are you confusing router and modem, perhaps?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

My apologies I should have been more clear. Thank you Ram4x4 for helping clarify the information. Since this is a fiber router and not a modem router combo you should be fine mirroring the router's configuration. As Chris Cosgrove has stated previously. If it had been a modem router combination as I mistakenly thought. You would have needed to register the modem's MAC address, and mirror the existing configuration.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

Any router should work okay, as long as you have installed it, duplicated the settings and then boxed it up for whenever.  I hate having to go through an installation so having one prepared could make it easy.

#7 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

and as long as there are no changes to your current network setup down the road...

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

Well I spoke to a second AOL adviser and he was much more on the ball than the first, he sent me a new router..:)

The only minor string attached is that I had to agree to a new 18-month contract with AOL, and if I switch to another provider I'll be charged for the router.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

I've changed routers over the years, with no problem whatever.  I had to "register" the router at the manufacturer's website (which was simple enough) and then I just put it into play with no problems.  If anything needs to be done, there should be an instruction pamphlet/book with the router which should be the guide for using it.

I now just buy 2 routers of the same brand/model instead of one...so that I have a quick change if something goes wrong with the installed unit.  I see no point in paying more than $22 or so for a router, they do the job.

The manufacturers also post whatever the procedures are, see Google List

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users